Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2012/03/10 03:15:52 UTC

Followup - [graph] Why the Vertex and Edge interfaces?

Hi all guys,

this message just to invite you on testing the experimental branch[1]
where I got rid completely of marcher interfaces, such as
Vertex/Edge/WeightedGraph and related stuff and various combinations
of them.
I took advantage to keep only needed generics in builder chains, that
are used to interfere types in the next builder, reducing the
verbosity and improving the readability.

Code is now IMHO much more versatile on hosting users' data, they are
now free to define Graph<URI, Integer> to measure the page
relationship, for example :P

Please have a look and share your thoughts - if there are no
objections, I'd propose to merge it to trunk.

TIA, all the best and have a nice WE,
-Simo

PS: I muted exporter ATM since, given the current design, we should
think a different strategy to define exporting properties for
vertices/edges. There was an open issue[2] about it, it is maybe time
to resurrect it :P

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/graph/branches/drop-marker-interfaces-feature
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-339

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: Followup - [graph] Why the Vertex and Edge interfaces?

Posted by sq...@dia.uniroma3.it.
Hi Simone,

good job, thanks for experimenting!

Looks generally ok to me. I will take some more time before giving thumbs
up to merge it -- and not other fingers :P

In the meantime it might be worth to share my naive idea for graph
exporters here (I might implement it in the next days):
we could explicitly define a family of Mappers (e.g. WeightMapper,
LabelMapper, maybe later CoordinateMapper, etc), so that

 * the whole thing gets a bit more human-readable, and
 * when exporting a graph the user can specify as many Mappers as
   wanted (e.g. passing an iterator or simply an arbitrary number of
   args), but then the exporter is responsible for only selecting those
   that match the export format and (silently? with an exception?) drop
   the others.

Claudio