Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/22 22:06:19 UTC

Continuous Integration Status

On 17 Mar 2011, at 21:56, Justin Ross wrote:
> Test results.  I'm keen to get feedback about the quality of our
> newest release.  Gordon indicated at least some test failures, and in
> my own testing the default java test profile is failing in acl tests.
> I haven't yet been able to determine if that's something in my
> environment.
>
> In any case, I know that various contributors have CI setups, and I
> invite you to give a brief report on what you're seeing on the 0.10
> branch.  Indeed, I still need to gather the test results I have and
> report them here.

All,

I have now set up a CI build using the existing 0.10 subversion
branch (no failures!) which may be helpful during the release
process. Currently it only tests using the default Java profile,
though, but I am working on the rest, and C++ too. You can view the
output here:

	https://builds.apache.org/hudson/job/qpid-java-0.10-build/

The full list of (two, currently) jobs is viewable here:

	https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/M-R/view/Qpid/

I've documented the CI configuration and current status in more
detail on a wiki page, linked to from QPID-3149, so please refer to
that if you want to find out more about what is being worked on. I'd
like to get some feedback on this, and also have a couple of
particular questions:

  * Firstly, is the list of profiles adequate, bearing in mind that I
will be setting up the system test jobs to run all available
profiles, and I hope to get clustered C++ testing working at some
point, given a bit of help. Any suggestions welcome.

  * Second, where should the build status emails be sent? The current
setup will check subversion every 1 minutes, which has the potential
to generate a lot of traffic. I think creating a new mailing list
specifically for build output would be most helpful, and I suggest
'build@qpid.apache.org' for this. There is also support for mailing
the committer that checked in a change that breaks the build, if
people think that would be useful?

Another question occurs to me - the JMX tests all fail on Solaris 10,
does anyone know why? Send your answers to QPID-3161, please.

Thanks,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Continuous Integration Status

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Andrew Kennedy <
andrewinternational@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2011, at 21:42, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>
>>  * Second, where should the build status emails be sent? The current setup
>>> will check subversion every 1 minutes, which has the potential to generate a
>>> lot of traffic. I think creating a new mailing list specifically for build
>>> output would be most helpful, and I suggest 'build@qpid.apache.org' for
>>> this. There is also support for mailing the committer that checked in a
>>> change that breaks the build, if people think that would be useful?
>>>

>> I am a little worried about running some of the builds for every checkin.
>> That has the potential to send a lot of traffic.
>>

> To clarify, Hudson is checking every 15 minutes if there have been any new
> check-ins, and then running a build. the maximum build rate is therefore
> this frequency. This is configurable using crontab syntax, and could be
> changed to hourly or half-hourly perhaps. Currently I set it to:
>
>        */15 * * * * *
>
> The default profile itself (including system tests) takes around 15 minutes
> to run.

Hourly sounds good. But lets continue with the current setup and see how it
goes.
We could always change later if we need to.

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Andrew Kennedy <
andrewinternational@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2011, at 21:56, Justin Ross wrote:
>
>> Test results.  I'm keen to get feedback about the quality of our
>> newest release.  Gordon indicated at least some test failures, and in
>> my own testing the default java test profile is failing in acl tests.
>> I haven't yet been able to determine if that's something in my
>> environment.
>>
>> In any case, I know that various contributors have CI setups, and I
>> invite you to give a brief report on what you're seeing on the 0.10
>> branch.  Indeed, I still need to gather the test results I have and
>> report them here.
>>

> All,
>
> I have now set up a CI build using the existing 0.10 subversion branch (no
> failures!) which may be helpful during the release process. Currently it
> only tests using the default Java profile, though, but I am working on the
> rest, and C++ too. You can view the output here:
>
>        https://builds.apache.org/hudson/job/qpid-java-0.10-build/
>
> The full list of (two, currently) jobs is viewable here:
>
>        https://builds.apache.org/hudson/view/M-R/view/Qpid/
>
> I've documented the CI configuration and current status in more detail on a
> wiki page, linked to from QPID-3149, so please refer to that if you want to
> find out more about what is being worked on. I'd like to get some feedback
> on this, and also have a couple of particular questions:

First of all a big thank you for doing this.