Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/09 17:54:29 UTC

Anyone know why the sync for https://github.com/apache/maven-site is broken? (was Re: Little documentation issues)

Anyone have any idea what happened, seems there is no update since 2012

https://github.com/apache/maven-site

On 9 December 2014 at 16:53, Stephen Connolly <
stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmmm that seems to have failed to sync since.... scratch that...
>

> On 9 December 2014 at 16:52, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you want to create some pull requests?
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-site is the repo... we can take care of
>> pulling those patches back to SVN, so no need to worry about that part ;-)
>>
>> On 9 December 2014 at 16:42, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After using maven for 7+years, I decided that I finally knew enough
>>> about it to read the docs.
>>> I started here - http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.
>>> html - and this led to other pages.
>>>
>>> I have found some places where a little cleaning up might help new users.
>>> There is one BIG issue and a few smaller ones.
>>>
>>> 1) http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/
>>> introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
> [...]
>>> better if held together rather than split up with a discussion of binding
>>> and a table between the two parts of the story.
>>>

>>> 1b) In the table following this line "Each packaging contains a list of
>>> goals to bind to a particular phase. For example, thejarpackaging will bind
>>> the following goals to build phases of the default lifecycle." a heading
>>> row would be nice.
>>>
>>> 1c)
>>> Plugins are mentioned well before they are defined on the page. It would
>>> be helpful to briefly describe what a plugin is before using it as a known
>>> concept in "A Build Phase is Made Up of Plugin Goals" which never defines
>>> it before dropping "And this is done by declaring the plugin goals bound to
>>> those build phases."
>>> 1d)
>>> The definition of plug-in is obscure to say the least "Plugins are
>>> artifacts that provide goals to Maven." Surely there must be a clearer way
>>> to describe the concept of plugin.
>>> This is one of the most important Maven concepts and this is a WTF
>>> definition.
>>>
>>> 2) http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
>>>
>>> 2a)How can Maven benefit my development process? -> How can Maven be of
>>> benefit to my development process? -> How can Maven improve my development
>>> process?
>>> More common  English usage although the current wording is not wrong
>>> 2b) How do I use plug-ins? -> How do I use plugins?  no hyphen in
>>> plug-in. Whoops plugin!
>>>
>>> 2c) How do I use plugins? has no description of what a plugin is.
>>>
>>> 3) http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-configuring-plugins.html
>>>
>>> 3a) No definition of what a plugin is; it just starts of with the
>>> assertion that there are 2 types. I am not sure that that statement is
>>> really true or if it is, it is not a very useful categorization.
>>>
>>> 3b) It is recommended to always defined each version of the plugins used
>>> by the build to guarantee the build reproducibility. -> It is recommended
>>> the version of the each plugins used by the build is specified to guarantee
>>> the reproducibility of the build.
>>> A good practice is to specify them in the<build><pluginManagement/></build>elements
>>> for*each*build plugins (generally, you will define a <pluginManagement/>
>>> element in a parent POM).  ->
>>>  It is a good practice to specify the version in
>>> the<build><pluginManagement/></build>element for*each*plugin. The
>>> <pluginManagement/> element is generally specified in a parent POM so that
>>> the same plugin version is use in all related projects.
>>>
>>> c) "Maven plugins (build and reporting) are configured by specifying
>>> a<configuration>element where the child elements of
>>> the<configuration>element are mapped to fields, or setters, inside your
>>> Mojo (remember that a plug-in consists of one or more Mojos where a Mojo
>>> maps to a goal). "
>>> Remember!!!. This is the first time a Mojo has been mentioned. It has no

>>> 'mojo/

Re: Anyone know why the sync for https://github.com/apache/maven-site is broken? (was Re: Little documentation issues)

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I opened a Jira issue a few days ago about this:

but nothing happened at the moment

Regards,

Hervé