Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joyce <wz...@msn.com> on 2010/12/03 11:13:52 UTC

Newbie Questions

Hello,

I just started to use Maven in a new project.  My IDE is Eclipse for Java
EE, Helios SR1 (3.6.1) I am installing a none-free Java API, which ships all
the physical dependency Java jars as well. I try to use dependencies tag in
the pom.xml to automatically fill in the dependencies. I have problems
finding them:

1. For example, the shipped jar is poi.jar(required version 2.5.1), but I
could not find it from Eclipse, the lowest version of poi.jar in Eclipse is
3.0 and the highest version is 3.7. In this case should I choose the highest
version or the most closest version?

2. www.mvnrepository.com also provides a place for developer to search
dependencies, for above opi.jar, I could find version 2.5.1 from this
website. In this case should I use the exact version or the eclipse version.

3. For some jars could not be found from either eclipse or mvnrepository, is
there a manual way to specify the dependency?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
> EE, Helios SR1 (3.6.1) I am installing a none-free Java API, which ships all
> the physical dependency Java jars as well. I try to use dependencies tag in
> the pom.xml to automatically fill in the dependencies. I have problems
> finding them:

I'd consider this a special case. Since the API comes with its own
dependencies you'd be best off using them. I.e. install them into your
local repo using a custom artifactId and groupId and craft a pom for the
main API that adds dependencies on those jars. If you use Nexus you can
save yourself some trouble creating the POMs from all the dependency jars.

-dirk

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 03/12/2010 5:13 AM, Joyce wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just started to use Maven in a new project.  My IDE is Eclipse for Java
> EE, Helios SR1 (3.6.1) I am installing a none-free Java API, which ships all
> the physical dependency Java jars as well. I try to use dependencies tag in
> the pom.xml to automatically fill in the dependencies. I have problems
> finding them:
If you want to mix you non-free Java and other files, you will want your
own repo such as Nexus so that you can upload the jars that you bought
and use Nexus to proxy the outside world so that Maven can find
everything for you.
> 1. For example, the shipped jar is poi.jar(required version 2.5.1), but I
> could not find it from Eclipse, the lowest version of poi.jar in Eclipse is
> 3.0 and the highest version is 3.7. In this case should I choose the highest
> version or the most closest version?

POI is one of those projects that started out with one naming convention
and later fell into line with the rest of the world
2.5.1 is available but its GAV is poi:poi:5.1.1-final-20040804 whereas
the current versions of POI are found as org.apache.poi:poi:x.x.x

We just moved from 2.5.1 to the 3.5 or 3.6 and did not have any problems
with existing application.
> 2. www.mvnrepository.com also provides a place for developer to search
> dependencies, for above opi.jar, I could find version 2.5.1 from this
> website. In this case should I use the exact version or the eclipse version.
>
> 3. For some jars could not be found from either eclipse or mvnrepository, is
> there a manual way to specify the dependency?

If you had your own repo, you would avoid all of these problem.
There are at least 2 free repos available and either will make Maven a
much more enjoyable experience.
We use Nexus and it was easy to install and set up.