Posted to users@maven.apache.org by nash4403 <nc...@walmart.com> on 2007/12/24 18:17:18 UTC

No access to internet after first download

A simple question

How do I download the Maven 2.0 fom intranet and would not have access to
internet so no access to ibiblio.?

We have 100's of developers and we would like to provide Maven through
intranet?They would never have an internet access except intranet.

How could we provide this functionality?What needs to be downloaded on to
the central CVS server to do this?

Thanks,
Nagesh

Re: No access to internet after first download

Posted by Ari Jeremy <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback Wayne! Appreciate if you could post alternatives
also.

With that in place pointer comes to two options

1. Use local file system exposed on http/ftp.
       Once the artifacts are downloaded onto the central machine the same
can be
       exposed on http/ftp. Developers can use this as remote repository. In
this case
       they will just have to add a mirror element for central repository.
For example
       following element has to be added under <settings><mirrors> element
in
       <MAVEN_INSTALL_DIR>/conf/settings.xml file

           <mirror>
             <id>mylocalrepo</id>
             <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
             <name>mylocalrepo</name>
             <url>http://local-repo-host-name/m2</url>
           </mirror>

2. Use any repository manager apps
       This takes a little bit of time as you have to go through setting up
the manager app.
       But that is well compensated by the features that you will get.

--
Thanks and Warm regards,
Ari Jeremy

Complexity is a symptom of confusion, not a cause. -- Jeff Hawkins

Re: No access to internet after first download

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
This is a really bad idea/suggestion. If you're actually doing this in
production, I feel bad for you!!

The local repository is (currently) assumed by Maven to be a single
user, single threaded access kind of environment. So it is also a bad
idea to have multiple Maven builds executing at the same time. Some
plans have been discussed on dev@ to make it more capable/resilient,
but nothing has thus far been implemented, so this is the current
state of things.

Multiplying the effects of multiple threads accessing the same local
repo like this across many (10s or 100s) developers would break things
in really ugly ways. Do NOT do this!

Wayne

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 24, 2007 10:17 AM, nash4403 <nc...@walmart.com> wrote:

> How do I download the Maven 2.0 fom intranet and would not have access to
> internet so no access to ibiblio.?
>
> We have 100's of developers and we would like to provide Maven through
> intranet?They would never have an internet access except intranet.
>
> How could we provide this functionality?What needs to be downloaded on to
> the central CVS server to do this?

There are several repository manager apps available-- Archiva,
Artifactory and Proximity come to mind.

To populate the repository, you can configure the repository manager
to proxy the central repo, or you can deploy the artifacts to it
yourself.

(While it can be done, rsyncing the entire central repo isn't
recommended-- it's huge, and you're unlikely to ever use most of the
artifacts.)

As Ari pointed out, you can also just serve any filesystem as a
repository if you find you don't need the features that a repository
manager provides.

--
Wendy

Re: No access to internet after first download

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
well, you could set up a maven repository and configure it to sync
with maven central repo.

Posted by nash4403 <nc...@walmart.com>.
Thanks Jeremy.Can you please elaborate?

I also have aset of libraries which my modules depend on.My concern is which
maven libraries and plugins do I need to run maven on the developers
boxes?Is there any guidelines on how to do this?