Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Vinicius Carvalho <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/20 17:02:10 UTC

Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

I was obligated to tyr JSF for real, so far I've been only reading and
checking some demos. I've got in a project where I HAD to learn JSF, and It
made me like Tapestry even more. JSF has such a Struts base that event that
annoying mapping stuff is back but with a different name: navigation ... And
the JSP looks like a salad of tags, petty.
One thing I thought was cool, the idea of having any POJO being a
controller. Could Tapestry have this one day? Not extend BasePage anymore.
Couldn't it use dynamic bytecode enhancing to create a proxy that implements
page? Those are only ideas ;)

Regards

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com>.
I worked with JSF before it was released up at Sun for about 6 months on
a rather large gui webapp and after working with tapestry 4 for a few
months I have to say that I agree. Tapestry rocks house like nobody's
business. I am still amazed at how much code you *don't* have to write
with Tapestry, especially compared to JSF.

--
Dan Adams
Software Engineer

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by John Coleman <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> > I was obligated to tyr JSF for real, so far I've been only reading and
> > checking some demos. I've got in a project where I HAD to learn JSF, and
It
> > made me like Tapestry even more. JSF has such a Struts base that event
that
> > annoying mapping stuff is back but with a different name: navigation ...
And
> > the JSP looks like a salad of tags, petty.

If we go the "new" JSP2/JSF route, what do we  really gain? It seems to be a
cleaned up JSP+Struts, like Sun do EJB3 with POJOs now, was cribbed off
Hibernate. Sun are trend followers, not trend setters. I can see the appeal
for clients with a JSP base, but for new projects I'll push Tapestry every
time now. There is Facelets, which creates a component like environment for
JSF, but I can't imagine this being anywhere as good as Tapestry, and it's
not mature.

Problems with JSP are debugging it, and leaking of inapropriate code into
it. I suppose the new EL will help tidy it up a bit, but really it's
basically the same bad concept.

It's good to hear this feedback anyway, thanks.

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi <le...@dtqsoftware.com>.
Vinicius Carvalho wrote:
> I was obligated to tyr JSF for real, so far I've been only reading and
> checking some demos. I've got in a project where I HAD to learn JSF, and It
> made me like Tapestry even more. JSF has such a Struts base that event that
> annoying mapping stuff is back but with a different name: navigation ... And
> the JSP looks like a salad of tags, petty.
> One thing I thought was cool, the idea of having any POJO being a
> controller. Could Tapestry have this one day? Not extend BasePage anymore.
> Couldn't it use dynamic bytecode enhancing to create a proxy that implements
> page? Those are only ideas ;)
>
> Regards

Hey go ahead, join the discussion and help us with implementation! I'm
sure a lot of people would like that idea ;).

--
Ing. Leonardo Quijano Vincenzi
DTQ Software

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by Cosmin Bucur <co...@gmail.com>.
good to hear i didn't waste my time ,  in the begining , when i
ditched that jsf book for Kent's tutorials :)

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.

Re: Tried JSF ... Tapestry Rocks!!!

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.