Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> on 2018/07/13 15:51:40 UTC

Java 10+ builds

Hi Cameleers,
I've experimented a bit with jitpack.io[1] to get the Java 10 build running.

I've created a branch/build to test this using the daily build[2], the
build failed but I think it's because the node was disconnected from
Jenkins -- but the Java 10 stage of the build was successfully built
according to the logs.

I can merge this to master, but it will tie us to jitpack.io until
there is a new MVEL release with the fix[3] we need.

Any thoughts on merging this, as a temporary fix?

zoran

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4d7fc96415d501d68ee8c343fdb31df6a99db94
[2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel.daily-zregvart/1/
[3] https://github.com/mvel/mvel/issues/159
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Java 10+ builds

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
a little update on this effort. Over the past few days I've been
adding dependencies and fixing issues in tooling that I've found while
running the build on early access Java 11 builds.

You can follow/contribute to this effort on the, not very cleverly
named, `java-10-test` branch. I think, working incrementally so some
failures might occur on modules whose dependencies changed after I've
gone through them, that Camel can now build on Java 11.

Next effort is on adding dependencies needed for test and running the
tests in the daily build.

Right now I've disabled Java 9 build and I'm just looking into Java 10
& 11 in a, not very cleverly named, Camel.daily-zregvart[2] Jenkins
build.

There are two commits that I'm not sure if we would like to merge into
master once this is done, both are using patched versions of MVEL[3]
and maven-plugin-plugin[4].

I think that APT tooling commit[5] can be merged into master. And that
once I add the required test dependencies the dependency modification
commit[6] can be merged after that.

I would appreciate any input on the method I'm doing this (adding
dependencies via Maven profile), the dependencies them selves as there
are plenty of options to choose on Maven central.

I'll start another thread on what Java versions we wish to support.

zoran

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/java-10-test
[2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel.daily-zregvart/
[3] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commit;h=a1c4e3ab77c8ae3638008879391f871b39945272
[4] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commit;h=b179cb27328112d57b0c818bd65076dad3873302
[5] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commit;h=f68fa4fddf69e256027e249b3714798c0c500b79
[6] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commit;h=1d9a1b2a12c4d1d469a7044f920e46a51bf3f353

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Zoran
>
> Thanks for tackling the builds of Camel on these newer JDK versions.
>
> As Java 9 is EOL we may consider dropping that all together and focus
> on Java 10 and 11,
> with the goal of Java 11 as its the long term supported releases of Java.
>

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> wrote:
>> Hi Cameleers,
>> I've experimented a bit with jitpack.io[1] to get the Java 10 build running.
>>
>> I've created a branch/build to test this using the daily build[2], the
>> build failed but I think it's because the node was disconnected from
>> Jenkins -- but the Java 10 stage of the build was successfully built
>> according to the logs.
>>
>> I can merge this to master, but it will tie us to jitpack.io until
>> there is a new MVEL release with the fix[3] we need.
>>
>> Any thoughts on merging this, as a temporary fix?
>>
>> zoran
>>
>> [1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4d7fc96415d501d68ee8c343fdb31df6a99db94
>> [2] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel.daily-zregvart/1/
>> [3] https://github.com/mvel/mvel/issues/159