Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Becker, Thomas" <Th...@netapp.com> on 2013/06/20 13:55:41 UTC

What to do with Lucene Version parameter on upgrade

I'm relatively new to Lucene and am in the process of upgrading from 4.0 to 4.3.1.  I'm trying to figure out if I need to leave my version at LUCENE_40 or if it is safe to change it to LUCENE_43.  Does this parameter directly determine the index format?  I have some existing indexes from 4.0 but am fine with whatever changes Lucene makes to them; I'm not concerned with the internal format.  But if I set my version to LUCENE_43 will the IndexReader/Writer not work with my old indexes?

Regards,
Tommy

Re: What to do with Lucene Version parameter on upgrade

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Version relates to analyzers and the like rather than to internals
such as index format. I don't recall what exactly has changed between
4.0 and 4.3.1 but you're probably safe to change it and use LUCENE_43.

Take a look at the javadoc for StandardAnalyzer - that lists some
versions and what changed with that version.

--
Ian.