Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Chris Cardona <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/08 05:31:42 UTC

Embedded LDAP Server Viewer Portlet

Hello All (Aaron, Joe, Paul),

I would like to work on a new portlet for the console
which can be used to view/explore the contents of the
embedded LDAP server (Apache DS). This can be added
under Misc > Embedded LDAP Server. I plan to use Dojo
javascript toolkit and DWR to accomplish this task.
Since we are already using DWR for our Ajax stuff my
only question is the use of Dojo. Is it ok to include
Dojo to the console? Your comments and suggestions are
most welcome.

Chris

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Embedded LDAP Server Viewer Portlet

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Dojo is fine with me.

Aaron

Posted by Chris Cardona <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Jacek,

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/8/06, Chris Cardona <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All (Aaron, Joe, Paul),

Hi Chris (although I'm not on the list ;))

> I would like to work on a new portlet for the console

Is there an JIRA issue raised for it? If so, sign up for it and go
ahead. Otherwise, please rise it and follow the aforementioned steps.
I'm doing lots of portlet programming lately and can't wait till m2
conversion is done so I could jump in (and perhaps be included in the
list of yours ;)).

> Chris

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Embedded LDAP Server Viewer Portlet

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Chris Cardona wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> Thanks for offering some help. My idea for this
> portlet is a simple way of viewing the contents of the
> ApacheDS. A tree widget will be used to navigate the
> entries and a table to list attributes of an entry. I
> also intend to add a way to do ldap searches and
> refesh data.
Nice! You could also use persistent search with JNDI notifications to
update your UI if other external clients change the DIT.  ApacheDS
supports this control.   Added it myself I think in 1.0-RC1.  We need to
get G up to date with the latest and greatest tho.
> If would be nice to include a way to add
> and modify entries. Not sure if ApacheDS includes APIs
> to accomplish such tasks (e.g. process an ldif file
> for adding entries, etc).
There is a server side JNDI provider that mimics an on the wire LDAP
JNDI provider but taps directly into the database for requests.  But I'd
recommend just using simple JNDI LDAP connectivity with a local socket
to the server just for now until some of the classloader issues are
clear between ADS and G.  If designed properly you can just plugin the
serverside provider in place of the SUN JNDI provider later.
> Please let me know if you
> have other ideas for this portlet so we can coordinate
> work.

Sure will do.  Some ideas that occurred to me are doing LDIF imports and
exports.  This is pretty easy to do once you have the UI setup though.
Keep me updated on your progress.  This is exciting.

Alex

Posted by Chris Cardona <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Alex,

Thanks for offering some help. My idea for this
portlet is a simple way of viewing the contents of the
ApacheDS. A tree widget will be used to navigate the
entries and a table to list attributes of an entry. I
also intend to add a way to do ldap searches and
refesh data. It would be nice to include a way to add
and modify entries. Not sure if ApacheDS includes APIs
to accomplish such tasks (e.g. process an ldif file
for adding entries, etc). Please let me know if you

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Chris Cardona <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven’t checked it yet
but I will look at it and let you know. I’m using the
latest Dojo source so hopefully this problem was fixed
already. If not we can always raise it up to the Dojo
community.

Chris

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,