Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by nt <nt...@ll.mit.edu> on 2006/08/22 18:51:27 UTC

not Aldus Placable Metafile

Hi,

I am trying to convert wmf's to png's and it seems that the best way to do
this is via svg's. I am using the transcoder. I get the following error
message:

"Unable to read file, it is not a Aldus Placable Metafile"

I was wondering (1) what does this mean? (2) why am I getting this error?
(3) is there a way to avoid it? (4) are there any other wmf conversion
options? I already tried jfree pixie and that didn't work.

Thank you so much in advance - I really appreciate it.

Re: not Aldus Placable Metafile

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Nt,

nt <nt...@ll.mit.edu> wrote on 08/22/2006 12:51:27 PM:
> I am trying to convert wmf's to png's and it seems that the best way to
do
> this is via svg's. I am using the transcoder. I get the following error
> message:
>
> "Unable to read file, it is not a Aldus Placable Metafile"

   This means that the file does not start with the byte
sequence 'D7 CD C6 9A'.  Which is the "magic number" of an
Aldus Placeable Metafile file.  This appears to be a small
header on a raw WMF file that provides a magic number and
some bounds information (left, top, right, bottom edges of
drawing canvas).

   I took a little look at the code and it looks like you
might be able to simply bypass this check and get something
that was fairly reasonable.  The check is in:

        batik.transcoder.wmf.tosvg.AbstractWMFReader : line 330

   you could try simply commenting out the 'else' clause.