Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org> on 2012/08/08 08:36:13 UTC

[all] NSWC and Apache license

Hello,
I'm currently working on MATH-738, and am considering porting part of
the FORTRAN "NSWC Library of Mathematics Subroutines" [1] (Naval
Surface Warfare Center).
The website states

    "This software is made available, without cost, to the general
scientific community. The 1993 edition is an update of the 1990
edition."

Does that mean that porting it into Commons-Math is possible
(license-wise?). I would think it does...

Thanks for your advice!

Sébastien

[1] http://www.ualberta.ca/CNS/RESEARCH/Software/NumericalNSWC/site.html

Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
INAL, but I am a recovering Fortran programmer.

I found the same repository under:

http://ftp.twaren.net/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/bf/nswc/Intro

I think that these routines are public domain and there is no copyright on the manual.

Really cool.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

Yes, I work there (different location). Investigating that presently.

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Luc Maisonobe
> <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> > Le 08/08/2012 17:58, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :

>  claim to be in the general scientific community, the
> software has not been made available to me.

> > I would strongly argue against too simplistic interpretation.
> > For this kind of question, you should ask to the dedicated list at
> > apache. Please see <http://www.apache.org/legal/> and

> > I guess they will say "no, you cannot use this stuff".
> >

> >> If somebody writes a webbased SPSS or a company like creates
> >> statistics on the SO usage with Math? Surely this is
> commercial use
> >> and not really science?
> >>
> >> Anyway the AL2.0 does not have restrictions who can use it
> or not; my
> >> guess is it is not directly compatible.
> >
> > This is also my guess.
> >
> > Luc
> >

> >> But you really should ask legal@ in this case. I have not
> seen this
> >> license listed here:
> >> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
> >>
> >> But they might be able to help you anyway.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Christian

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -
This message is copyright PD Inc, subject to license 20080407P00.

Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi,

2012/8/8 Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>:
> Le 08/08/2012 17:58, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :

>>> I agree with you. However, "scientific community" does seem a bit
>>> vague to me. Arguably, anyone using Commons-*MATH* could claim to
>>> belong to the scientific community...
>
> I would strongly argue against too simplistic interpretation.

Of course I'm not happy with this simplistic interpretation.
Otherwise, I would not have asked in the first place.
My point is that the statement on the web-page is very vague, and
scientific community does not mean a lot to me, although I suspect
that it excludes any commercial use. The thing is *that* is not
clearly stated, and you could develop a commercial scientific
software, and belong to the scientific community (in my opinion).
Again, this point is for the sake of argument, I *know* this is
far-fetched.

Another weird thing I've just realized. The code was developed by the
US navy if I understand correctly, but is now hosted on a canadian
page, so we need clarification. Maybe Jason will be able to talk to
someone.

> For this kind of question, you should ask to the dedicated list at
> apache. Please see <http://www.apache.org/legal/> and
>
> I guess they will say "no, you cannot use this stuff".

My initial message was posted to both dev@ and legal-discuss@. Let's
see what their answer is. I understand I should not be too optimistic.

Thanks for all these answers,
Sébastien

Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [all] NSWC and Apache license

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi Kevan,
thanks for your answer.

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi Jason,

> I can make some enquiries to see if it can be changed. Do you know which NSWC
> released it, Dahlgren, Carderock and which code 90,50, etc?

Thanks, that would help a lot !
It's Dahlgren [1], FORTRAN 77.

If the answer you get is a straightforward yes, that's fine. If it is
a "no", maybe we could wait before we ask that it be changed. Indeed,
I'm only playing around with this library at the moment, I need to
make sure the accuracy it offers meets my requirements.

Best regards,
Sébastien

[1] http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA476840

RE: [all] NSWC and Apache license