Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Zhuo Liu <zz...@tigermail.auburn.edu> on 2015/11/09 17:31:25 UTC

new KafkaProducer hangs when no write permissions to topic

Hello everyone,

I am using 0.8.2 KafkaProducer in storm to publish to a topic.

I create with no write acls,

then use the new producer to try to publish and it will hang.

I guess we would expect some exception  instead.

Best Regards,
Zhuo Liu
Yahoo Inc.
Ph.D., CSSE of Auburn University
http://www.auburn.edu/~zzl0014/<http://www.auburn.edu/%7Ezzl0014/>

Re: new KafkaProducer hangs when no write permissions to topic

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Zhuo,

I suspect the authorization errors are occurring when the producer tries to
fetch topic metadata. Since authorization wasn't supported in 0.8.2, it
probably ignores the errors silently and retries. I think this has been
fixed in the 0.9.0 branch if you want to give it a try.

Thanks,
Jason