Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2010/04/23 02:50:00 UTC

Release killed... RC3 coming soon WAS -> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 2 as hbase-0.20.4? (WAS --> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 1 as hbase-0.20.4?)

HBASE-2481 "Client is not getting UnknownScannerExceptions; they are
being eaten" sinks this release candidate.  Will fix and put up a new
candidate this evening.
St.Ack

Re: Release killed... RC3 coming soon WAS -> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 2 as hbase-0.20.4? (WAS --> Re: [VOTE] Shall we release hbase-0.20.4 Release Candidate 1 as hbase-0.20.4?)

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
The problem is checked exceptions - translating throwables into
"generic" IOExceptions.  There are some specific exception classes in
hbase, but the problem is with all those unknown and random
exceptions.  Eg: NPEs.

As for this issue, some kind of regression looks like.

-ryan

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:22 AM, tsuna <ts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> I've noticed there are more places where exceptions tend to be eaten, or transformed in a generic IOException. Working around this tends to obscure logic sometimes.  More, most of the classes seem to both catch and throw IOException as a "standard". Perhaps working a bit towards having a richer set of IOException subclasses would make sense. Anyone thought of that?

+1  Maybe a bit of design first that lists the set of possible
exceptions (ScannerTimeoutException, WrongRegionException) and then
issues to bring us in-line w/ a specification?  You want to open an
issue Cosmin with say an example of where we are wrong for
illustration?  Throw Benoît's comment below in there too?

My sense is that a combination of lazyness -- "Well, IOE is going to
be *handled* anyways" -- and a lack of agreement about what is the
right way to do it has gotten us to here.

Thanks,
St.Ack

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com>.