Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/19 12:35:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Revisions to Committer Criteria

Background:

There is a desire to increase the committer pool and grow the community.
This thread is to discuss the possibility of revision the current committer
criteria in light of the following goals:

- Make it easier to newcomers to be committers
- Recognize non-code contributions as paths to committership
- Open the door to separating levels of committer and PMC (discussed in
another thread)

Current State:

The current committer criteria is here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Becoming+a+Committer as
is modeled after the Hadoop committer criteria
https://hadoop.apache.org/committer_criteria.html

Proposal:

Model the MXNet path to committership and PMC after the Apache Beam project
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/

Short quote from page:
      =================
An Apache Beam committer…
<https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#an-apache-beam-committer>

   - Takes many forms
   <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#takes-many-forms>
   - Knows, upholds, and reinforces the Apache Software Foundation code of
   conduct
   <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#knows-upholds-and-reinforces-the-apache-software-foundation-code-of-conduct>
   - Knows, upholds, and reinforces the responsibilities of an Apache
   Software Foundation committer
   <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#knows-upholds-and-reinforces-the-responsibilities-of-an-apache-software-foundation-committer>
   - Knows, upholds, and reinforces the Beam community’s practices
   <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#knows-upholds-and-reinforces-the-beam-communitys-practices>
   - =================
   <https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/#knows-upholds-and-reinforces-the-beam-communitys-practices>

I believe if we merge our current committer criteria with this model it
will open  the path to committership to a wider pool, acknowledge that
there are multiple paths, and reinforce the ASF values and responsibilities.

The Beam model does not explicitly address a PMC level but we could add it
in in the same spirit of reinforcing the ASF responsibilities and values of
this level.

Looking forward to feedback about this possible direction. If the community
is interested looking more into this direction I would be happy to create
of first draft of something more concrete to look at - (or if someone else
wants to take a crack at it too that would be great)

- Carin

Re: [DISCUSS] - Revisions to Committer Criteria

Posted by Yuan Tang <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Kellen for the clarification. The revised version looks good to me.

Posted by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yuan Tang <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jason for the suggestion.

I added this to the document to call it out:

In particular, code reviews are encouraged as good initial contributions to
gain understanding of the code base as well as the bar of quality that is
required to merge the code. The PPMC strives to actively identify current
reviewers for committer consideration.

Please feel free to provide feedback and edits on it.

Best,
Carin

Posted by Jason Dai <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@cs.washington.edu>.
Thanks Carin

Tianqi

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Becoming+a+Committer tomorrow

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for publishing the notes and also thanks everyone for providing
valuable feedback and discussion.

I encourage everyone that has ideas for improvement to the document to feel

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steffen Rochel <st...@gmail.com>.
Carin - please see

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.