Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2010/04/08 15:19:23 UTC

Moving brokertest.py to qpid/tests

qpid/python/qpid/brokertest.py is a framework for writing tests that orchestrate
brokers and client processes. It's used by at least the C++ & Java builds. I
think it may be in the wrong place
  - what's the right place - qpid/tests/src/py/qpid_tests?
  - are there any other uses of the framework that would need updating if we
move it?

Cheers,
Alan.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Moving brokertest.py to qpid/tests

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 04/08/2010 10:45 AM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Alan Conway<ac...@redhat.com>  wrote:

>>> If it only works with the C++ broker, (which I *think* is the case, but
>>> correct me if I'm wrong), then it probably makes the most sense to put
>>> it under qpid/cpp somewhere.
>>>

>> That's where it was before but rajith asked me to put it in a more
>> accessible place to test java clients against C++ broker. Rajith, what was
>> the issue with this being in cpp/src/tests again?
>
> This was an issue when it came to ptol.
> Bcos in ptol I can't assume a source checkout. I had to work with an
> install broker.
> If it was in the python directory, then It was already in the path.
> (However the java tests are not yet in ptol for different reasons).

I'm not entirely sure where to move this and I don't want to break things for no
reason. I'm shelving this move for now, I'll revisit it at a later date.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 10:20 AM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
>>
>> Rajith Attapattu wrote:
>>>
>>> I am fine with moving it to an appropriate location.

>> If it only works with the C++ broker, (which I *think* is the case, but
>> correct me if I'm wrong), then it probably makes the most sense to put
>> it under qpid/cpp somewhere.
>>

> That's where it was before but rajith asked me to put it in a more
> accessible place to test java clients against C++ broker. Rajith, what was
> the issue with this being in cpp/src/tests again?

This was an issue when it came to ptol.
Bcos in ptol I can't assume a source checkout. I had to work with an
install broker.
If it was in the python directory, then It was already in the path.
(However the java tests are not yet in ptol for different reasons).

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> I am fine with moving it to an appropriate location.
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> qpid/python/qpid/brokertest.py is a framework for writing tests that
>> orchestrate brokers and client processes. It's used by at least the C++ &
>> Java builds. I think it may be in the wrong place
>>  - what's the right place - qpid/tests/src/py/qpid_tests?
>>  - are there any other uses of the framework that would need updating if we
>> move it?

If it only works with the C++ broker, (which I *think* is the case, but
correct me if I'm wrong), then it probably makes the most sense to put
it under qpid/cpp somewhere.

--Rafael

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

testlib.py (used for testing client-side stuff, apparantly) is also in
the same place.

>   - what's the right place - qpid/tests/src/py/qpid_tests?

qpid/python/qpid/tests?

>   - are there any other uses of the framework that would need
> updating if we move it?

I'm using brokertest.py for the persistence tests - I'm writing them
now.

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org