Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2014/03/04 19:39:45 UTC

[PROPOSAL] karaf-maven-plugin changes

Hi all,

I would like to discuss with you about my current work on the
karaf-maven-plugin:

1/ on master, I refactored the karaf-maven-plugin to use the Maven
annotations. It's simpler and cleaner, and compatible with all Maven
version. I also added the Maven 3.1 and 3.2 support. I also fixed the
same issue as on karaf-3.0.x (see below) and cleanup the code (using global
I propose the following cleanup/refactoring/renaming on the goals:
- karaf:commands-generate-help renamed to karaf:commands-documentation
- karaf:create-instance-archive renamed to karaf:instance-archive
- karaf:features-add-to-repository renamed to karaf:populate-repository
- karaf:features-create-kar renamed to karaf:create-kar
- karaf:features-export-meta-data renamed to karaf:export-metadata
- karaf:features-generate-descriptor renames to karaf:create-features
- karaf:features-validate-descriptor renamed to karaf:validate-features
Introduction of new goals:
- karaf:client to interact with a running instance
- karaf:instance to interact with instances (start, stop, etc)
- karaf:deploy to deploy bundles or features (and eventually populate
the system repository using scp)
- karaf:run to bootstrap and run a Karaf container
I also merged the scr-karaf-maven-plugin in karaf-maven-plugin as a
dedicated goal (karaf:scr).
2/ on karaf-3.0.x branch, I introduced a set of new integration tests
(using the maven-invoker-plugin). I fixed the different issues
(construct global features set to resolve all features including
transitive ones, support of file and http URLs, support of <configfile/>
in features repository XML, etc).

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] karaf-maven-plugin changes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
By the way, let see what the others think about that.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yeah, I'm also "split" in my mind ;)

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Don't know,

I would have prefered a one-to-rule-them-all maven plugin.
It is still a maven plugin, and everything else would distract from the
main purpose.
But this is just my 2 cents and I don't want to be ignorant.

regards, Achim

> Rethinking about this, I propose:
>
> groupId: org.apache.karaf.maven.plugins
> artifactId: [scr-maven-plugin, instance-maven-plugin,
> feature-maven-plugin, kar-maven-plugin, ...]
>
> The plugin module will be in each module:
>
> - instance/instance-maven-plugin
> - scr/scr-maven-plugin
> - features/feature-maven-plugin
> - kar/kar-maven-plugin
> - ...
>
> With tests/itests in each plugin
>
> The tooling module will disappear.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 03/05/2014 08:57 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> I think the big problem with one big plugin project is that the code
>> will be very difficult to maintain and test.
>> The command names below sound good. Especially that they sound similar
>> to karaf commands. So it it easier for users to know what they do.
>>
>> I think it should be possible to split the plugin into projects based on
>> the name before the ":". These goals should do similar things and so
>> should have similar
>> dependencies and make good candidates for modules.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> On 05.03.2014 08:45, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> I would prefer to have one plugin with multiple goal (I think it's
>>> better for the users).
>>>
>>> I have no problem to rename/split plugins for future. What do you
>>> think about:
>>>
>>> - karaf-commands:documentation
>>> - karaf-scr:scr
>>> - karaf-kar:create
>>> - karaf-kar:install
>>> - karaf-features:populate-repository
>>> - karaf-features:generate
>>> - karaf-features:validate
>>> - karaf-instance:archive
>>> - karaf-instance:run
>>> - karaf-instance:deploy
>>> - karaf-instance:client
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] karaf-maven-plugin changes

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Interesting proposal. Never thought about that but it could make sense.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense to "spread" the plugin per module (instead of having all
in tooling).

I do the changes on my branch and come back with a proposal.

Regards
JB

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [PROPOSAL] karaf-maven-plugin changes

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It's why I put on master, not on the karaf-3.0.x branch.

Master is 3.1.0-SNAPSHOT but should become 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT (as soon as we
will create the 3.1.x branch).

Regards
JB

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
I'm with Christoph on this one. I think people wont like us too much for
changing things during minor releases. Maybe we could print a deprecation
comment if the original commands are used instead of the new ones helping
the users switch.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I second Jamie on this.

sounds like a big improvement, good job.

regards, Achim

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.