Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Nelson <pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us> on 2002/04/11 17:30:34 UTC

Apache2 for Win32 (sweet!)

For those of you waiting for Apache 2 on windows, it's out (as mentioned
in yesterday's posting) -
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/.

I've just installed it on my machine, and thought I'd tell a little
about my install (because it's so damn cool!)

First, the service it installs on NT/2k is 'Apache2', so it will not
overwrite an Apache 1.3 service.

Second, it installs to an Apache2 folder, so again, it will not
overwrite your 1.3 version of apache.

Third, it does start on port 80, so if you have Apache 1.3, you will
need to make sure it's not running before the install. (I don't know
what it does if there's a port conflict - I stopped Apache 1.3 before
attempting the install.)

Finally, it comes with some new tools (at least on NT/2k - haven't
tried on Win9x yet). There is an Apache Service Monitor that show up as
a taskbar icon.  From this icon, you can manage any of your apache
servers - I see that it not only saw my Apache2 service, but also sees
my Apache 1.3 and my Netscape Roaming Access server (also Apache 1.3).

Great job, Apache Group!  It was worth waiting a couple of more days
for the windows binary!

Now, about the third-party modules . . .  :)

--
Pete Nelson, Web Developer
<pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us>

Re: Apache2 for Win32 (sweet!)

Posted by John Darin Holloway <jd...@blue.net>.
I've got it running on Win98SE as a service, follow the instructions in the
docs, but make sure you UNINSTALL the apache 1.3 service first, reboot, then
install the apache2 service, they don't seem to play together at all :-(.
As for the nifty systray apache service monitor, will display the current
status of the service, but you can not start, stop, or restart the service
from it, I guess it makes calls to NET START * and NET STOP * internally.
Works great so far, but my personal workstation doesn't get to many hits
either, but it got its first nimda probe last night :-).

You can lead a horse to Unix but you can't make him log into a shell. --
Strog@slashdot
John Darin Holloway
Bluegrass Network, LLC

RE: Apache2 for Win32 (sweet!)

Posted by Alek Andreev <al...@post.com>.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Apache 2 binaries for Windows are available
back since November 2001 (about half an year ago), with all the features
you mentioned.

Regards,
Alek Andreev
alek@post.com