Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/04 22:39:17 UTC

remove rotted distributed playbooks?

The OpenWhisk repo includes a number of playbooks for setting up a
distributed openwhisk deployment, including provisioning and setup of VMs.
The instructions and playbooks have not been touched - for the most part -
since their introduction, are untested, and have already various bits of
rot.

I am proposing that we remove them. For a distributed deployment with
ansible, modifying the local environment's host file should suffice.
Further, for swarm or kubernetes the deployment is entirely different also.

I am proposing that we remove these files since there's clearly no effort
to keep them up to date. As further evidence of rot, there are several open
issues dating back to 2016, two open PRs with little attention, and one
abandoned PR (closed for reasons cited above).

I've speculatively prepared a branch to remove the relevant bits and
request input... will proceed with silent consent if there are no
objections to removing these in 24 hours and open the PR.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/compare/master...rabbah:dist?expand=1

-r

open PRs:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4232
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4107

closed/abandoned PR:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2915

open issues:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/3989
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/3733
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/2220
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/issues/4235

Re: remove rotted distributed playbooks?

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1

-cs

--