Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Vicki Brown <vl...@cfcl.com> on 2005/02/15 04:28:49 UTC

local rule, score is ignored

We allow user rules. (Please don't argue with me about this. It's a very
small site and yes, we do trust our users.)

The following are in my .spamassassin/user_prefs
 header CF_SUB_UID               Subject =~ /vlb|Vicki/i
 score CF_SUB_UID                4.0
 describe CF_SUB_UID             Subject: contains my ID
 header CF_NOT_FOR_ME            ToCc !~ /vlb\@cfcl/
 score CF_NOT_FOR_ME             3.0
 describe CF_NOT_FOR_ME          Neither To nor Cc me

Here are the headers from a piece of spam

	*  1.0 CF_NOT_FOR_ME Neither To nor Cc me
	*  3.0 FORGED_RCVD_HELO Received: contains a forged HELO

What am I doing wrong? My tests are running. But why are my tests scoring
only 1.0 and not the score I specify?

Does anyone see something really lame I'm missing?
--
Vicki Brown     ZZZ                Journeyman Sourceror:
SF Bay Area, CA    zz  |\     _,,,---,,_      Scripts & Philtres

Re: local rule, score is ignored

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Vicki Brown" <vl...@cfcl.com>

> We allow user rules. (Please don't argue with me about this. It's a very
> small site and yes, we do trust our users.)
>
> The following are in my .spamassassin/user_prefs
>  header CF_SUB_UID               Subject =~ /vlb|Vicki/i
>  score CF_SUB_UID                4.0
>  describe CF_SUB_UID             Subject: contains my ID
>  header CF_NOT_FOR_ME            ToCc !~ /vlb\@cfcl/
>  score CF_NOT_FOR_ME             3.0
>  describe CF_NOT_FOR_ME          Neither To nor Cc me
>
> Here are the headers from a piece of spam

> *  1.0 CF_NOT_FOR_ME Neither To nor Cc me
> *  3.0 FORGED_RCVD_HELO Received: contains a forged HELO
>

> What am I doing wrong? My tests are running. But why are my tests scoring
> only 1.0 and not the score I specify?
>
> Does anyone see something really lame I'm missing?

Unfortunately not. There is a bug in 3.0.x through the current 3.0.2
which causes this effect. The work arounds are ugly++ to say the least.
They mostly consume processor cycles.

What happens is that the first time a given spamd child runs it works
right. Each time afterwards that it runs it fails to pick up local
scores even though it pucks up the local rules. You might make it work
by limiting each child to running only once.

The two solutions I have used here rely special and very special
circumstances. The first solution is to simply use "spamassassin"
rather than "spamc/spamd". The second solution for a single user
spamassassin setup is to role the user rules into the main rule
space and live with it that way. That's what I am doing at the
moment because the would be other user on the machine prefers the
2.64 install on a second box we have. (He needs some of the reporting
that 2.63 implements and 3.0.2 does not. I must admit I am not all
that impressed by 3.0.2 as compared to the well tuned 2.64 on the
other machine. There is not a big enough improvement to really push
a switch over "for real." In some ways 3.0 series seems like a
serious downgrade. But that's IMOAO and YMMV most assuredly applies.)

{^_^}