Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/11/03 03:42:52 UTC

Re: where to put projects/APIs that support mojos?

A few things came up in this thread, I'll try and attack them all here
in point form.

- the tools should live as close to their source as possible. I'd even
suggest keeping it in the plugin until makes sense to factor it out

- if something gets factored out, it should be independant of Maven
tools as much as possible. This makes it reusable elsewhere, and perhaps
can go to being a general library like plexus-archiver, stale source
scanners, classloading, etc. These would probably move to commons
eventually. Others, like maven-archiver which have maven specifics,
should be in the Maven SVN (see below).

- if everything that uses the library is not at Maven, then it shouldn't
be here (so mojo.codehaus.org might have a similar setup)

- extensions (new resolvers, etc) should be in the Maven SVN. Most would
be in the core distribution in fact.

Proposal: Let's add a "maven-shared" area of SVN, like maven-plugins in
the new structure. Each will be an independantly versioned and developed
lib, for use in other plugins.

Thanks for championing this John :)

Cheers,
Brett