Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> on 2012/01/30 17:26:31 UTC

admin permissions on old OOo

Hi all,

I used to have admin permissions on the old site. I no longer seem to.
I receive requests (as does Florian E.) to delete mail mistakenly
posted to the public lists, but I cannot do much about it directly.

I can route to those who *do* have admin permissions on the old site,
if you like. There are other small things to do, too, that require
admin on the Kenai site.

If none of this is needed, good to hear. But the messages are there still.

thanks
Louis

RE: admin permissions on old OOo

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
For any situations of this kind, it is always appropriate to direct folks to ooo-private @incubator.apache.org when someone has a request for which they want discrete resolution.

 - Dennis

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dave Fisher wrote on 2012-01-30 22:59:
>> TJ has taken up the woman's request. It is still on the Kenai infrastructure and Apache rules don't have to apply. To me this just signals that we need to shutdown the mail system at openoffice.org very, very soon.
>
> thanks for that. Glad to hear its being worked on. I receive such requests from time to time as well, since I guess I'm still listed at a dozen places and in public old press releases, and I'd appreciate if I could just forward those requests to someone.

If the request needs to be private then the place is ooo-private@incubator.apache.org

Otherwise, here is the place.

> I did so to Louis this time, since I know him, and I know he wants to work with AOO, and that's why I felt very uncomfortable seeing the discussing growing out of this.

Certainly. Your request nicely draws this to a conclusion, I hope.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:49 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since the initial request reached me and I forwarded it to Louis, I feel obliged to comment:
>
> Ross Gardler wrote on 2012-01-30 22:37:
>> Wow - where did that come from? I'm not going to get into a p***ing
>> match with you one of us would make a fool of themselves.
>
> Folks, someone sent his CV to a public mailing list by accident, not knowing it would be public. While I know how annoying and at the same time hopeless deleting archived postings can be - is such a simple request really worth to start endless discussions about where and how to ask that and who is allowed to deal with it? And where's the logic in having her ask in public, when all she wants is not to be mentioned in public?
>
> Stop discussing and help the woman sending in that request, anything else is simply ridiculous and not only a waste of everyone's time, but also an ashaming and embarassing behaviour to the public.
>
> Someone is in an odd situation, and I doubt she wants to deal with politics. Neither do I.

TJ has taken up the woman's request. It is still on the Kenai infrastructure and Apache rules don't have to apply. To me this just signals that we need to shutdown the mail system at openoffice.org very, very soon.

Louis and Ross started discuss something else ... That is all.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 30 January 2012 21:49, Florian Effenberger
<fl...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since the initial request reached me and I forwarded it to Louis, I feel
> obliged to comment:
>
> Ross Gardler wrote on 2012-01-30 22:37:

For the record the quoted part was out of context and thus I have removed it.

> Folks, someone sent his CV to a public mailing list by accident, not knowing
> it would be public.

That is the kind of thing that we will usually put the effort into.
Assuming the mailing lists in question are under the ASFs control the
correct policy and process for removal is described at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html

> Stop discussing and help the woman sending in that request, anything else is
> simply ridiculous and not only a waste of everyone's time, but also an
> ashaming and embarassing behaviour to the public.

Precisely my point and why I linked to the ASF policy and process
(repeated above) for handling these events in my first mail. It's just
faster. While removing it from the old OOo site is already being
addressed ( thanks TJ) but since this list is archived at the ASF one
can assume the ASF process should also be followed in this case.

Ross

Re: admin permissions on old OOo

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 30 January 2012 21:25, Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross, I've been doing this for >10 years, far longer than you.  And I
> have coordinated more online and open source communities, too, I'd
> guess.

Wow - where did that come from? I'm not going to get into a p***ing
match with you one of us would make a fool of themselves.

More importantly, I will repeat my previous apology for any
unintentional offence caused.

Ross

Re: admin permissions on old OOo

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Louis,

On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> Ross, I've been doing this for >10 years, far longer than you. And I
> have coordinated more online and open source communities, too, I'd
> guess.

Play nice you are both community organizers ;-)

FWIW Ross is the Apache V.P., Community Development

> I do have canned responses, but these no longer apply, given the new
> situation. As it happens, the number of outlier requests has dropped
> precipitously over the last two months, as AOO builds steam. I
> receive, now, very few, and those I do, I quickly route to this proper
> project.
>
> Sorry if I bristled. I accept, of course, advice all the time; even
> from my mother in law, always from my spouse, and even from kind
> strangers :-).

And new friends?

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Ross,

On 30 January 2012 15:57, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> To remove a specific email message posted to a public list
>>> (documentation) by mistake.
>>

>> If the message is on one of the two documentation ML's (author or dev
>> @doc.oo.o) I can remove it, or at least the SYMPA page says I can.
>> You or the user can mail me at tjfrazier@openoffice.org, or bring the matter
>> to this list (ooo-dev). I need sender and date.
>
> The ASF has a policy of *not* removing mails in the majority of cases.
> It simply is not possible to do so since our mailing lists are
> archived all over the place. See
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html

>>> Because the person wanting the removal, I presume, did not know about
>>> the new changes. I have no problem explaining things--have--but I'm
>>> simply laying out the facts.
>>>>

> The point is that you are not a contact point for the AOO project,
> this list is. If you, as a single individual, choose to act on
> requests like these and others that you frequently claim are coming
> your way you will quickly run out of time or you will fail to address
> the requests. Please share everything here (or on the private lists if
> absolutely necessary).

I do not pretend to anyone, least of all you, that I am a contact
person for anything related to AOO. I do not act on requests that I
cannot act on, and do relay to those querying me (and Florian, for
that matter) the facts.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
FWIW,
OOo had a policy like ASF's, but I and others honoured exceptions, and
they were exceptions. They were infrequent, and we made it clear that
expunging from the OOo lists was not likely to be a panacea, that once
Pandora's uhm, can, had been opened, the worms were free to wriggle
where they willed.

Louis

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 30 January 2012 23:19, TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> The ASF has a policy of *not* removing mails in the majority of cases.
>> It simply is not possible to do so since our mailing lists are
>> archived all over the place. See
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>>
> Most organizations, like most individuals, have a few suboptimal policies
> (calling them "damn-fool" would be rude, so I won't). The ASF is no
> exception, and this policy is one of them.

That may or may not be true. The policy is set by infra who are
responsible for the management of all the mailing lists at the ASF. So
if the policy is suboptimal it's infra that needs to be addressed.

In this specific case I did not understand that the lists in question
were not ASF managed lists, but were legacy lists. The fact that this
PPMC has control over those lists, of course, means that the PPMC is
able to take action under whatever policy it chooses to apply.

Thank you for resolving the issue.

> Interestingly enough, despite my rant, my action (I have deleted the post)
> seems to fall within policy!

Indeed. The only lesson here then, is that as the old lists are turned
off the infra policy linked will apply. The only way to change that is
for members of the PPMC to become infra volunteers. This policy
disintermediates one step further than the send it to
ooo-private/ooo-dev.

Ross

Re: admin permissions on old OOo

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 30 January 2012 14:45, TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> If the message is on one of the two documentation ML's (author or dev
> @doc.oo.o) I can remove it, or at least the SYMPA page says I can.
> You or the user can mail me at tjfrazier@openoffice.org, or bring the matter
> to this list (ooo-dev). I need sender and date.

I'll send it to you directly, as that is what the affected user would want.
Louis

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On Feb 1, 2012 3:40 AM, "Louis Suárez-Potts" <ls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am *not* saying we ought to do the same thing here. Quite the
> opposite. I have maintained that it's best to focus on development and
> contribution here and to have a proper focus users elsewhere, though
> "elsewhere" could easily be within the generous embrace of Apache.
>
> louis

+1

That's how ASF projects work and it's how a broad range of contributors get
paid for their work. It's useful to know that you feel this would be a
better model for AOO given the lessons from history in OOo.

There is always the user list for those users who fall in-between supported
users and active contributors, thatis those who are happy with a self-help
community.

Ross

Re: admin permissions on old OOo

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 31 January 2012 21:25, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 30/01/2012 Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> Is it time to remove the old OOo?
>

> Not without proper notice. At least, there are still active mailing lists
> there and the corresponding moderation web panels under
> http://openoffice.org still work.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Oh, dumb me. I should mention, on this thread, that one reason why OOo
had relatively many posters mis-posting messages and so on was because
unlike a lot of other foss projects then--less so now--it was
amphibolic user/develoeper, and that did not usually work out so well
for those users wanting nothing more than the application.

This meant then that so many of the rules that govern a developer site
were bent to accommodate regular users who were not by any means
developers or even contributors-and who had no clue, even after
reading the warnings, of what it meant to send an email message to a
list.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 30 January 2012 17:24, Florian Effenberger
<fl...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rob Weir wrote on 2012-01-30 23:23:
>
>> 2) If the question is sensitive, personal, confidential, etc.., then
>> ask them to send it to the ooo-private list.  Again, they do not need
>> to subscribe.  Anyone can post.
>

> that's a clear answer - thanks for that. Will point future requests to this
> list then.

Likewise.
BTW, a lot of this hubbub was the product of mistimed emails. Were we
all using IM or Twitter or something like, this tempest in a teacup
would not have occurred.

-louis

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to have admin permissions on the old site. I no longer seem to.
> I receive requests (as does Florian E.) to delete mail mistakenly
> posted to the public lists, but I cannot do much about it directly.
>
> I can route to those who *do* have admin permissions on the old site,
> if you like. There are other small things to do, too, that require
> admin on the Kenai site.
>
> If none of this is needed, good to hear. But the messages are there still.

One of my favorite words applies here:  "disintermediation".   The
best thing we can do is to remove extra steps and layers and people
between the user and the person who can give the user what they want.

General rule that applies for everything from trademark requests, to
mailing list, to product questions, to project questions, to interview
requests, to almost anything:

1) If it is not too sensitive and the person does not mind making the
request in public, then ask them to send the request to the ooo-dev
list.  Note that it is not necessary for them to subscribe to the
list.  Anyone is able to post to it.

2) If the question is sensitive, personal, confidential, etc.., then
ask them to send it to the ooo-private list.  Again, they do not need
to subscribe.  Anyone can post.

There may be more specific ways to report specific issues, but the
above two paths almost always work as a good first step.

Regards,

-Rob