Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/02/10 06:37:35 UTC

Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

The Gump development community has voted unanimously to ask for top
level project status, as previously mentioned to the board and has came
up with a proposal for a resolution for the board to pass in the next
upcoming board meeting.

The interesting parts are:

  1) Steven Bodewig has been nominated as chair and he accepted the
position
  2) the PMC list was self nominated, everybody who asked for it got in
the list
  3) the Gump community decided to propose its own charter as:

        responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related
        to promotion and facilitation of automated integration of the
software
        produced by other projects, based on software licensed to the
Foundation

My personal impression is that the community is very healthy, diverse
and very willing to exit the java-only status where it was born,
especially with Gumpy (the python rewrite). Evidence of this is the
continous flow of commits from many different committers as well as the
prompt and smooth actions that resulted in this proposal and to the
nomination of the chair and PMC list.

Please allow me to say that after experiencing the Jakarta PMC chair
election, this has been a wonderfully refreshing thing and showed me,
once more, that container projects don't work.

Also understand that nothing in this proposal is carved in stone and,
if necessary, the community is more than willing to listen to
comments/suggesions or answer further questions that the board might
have.

Thanks much for you time.

Find the proposed resolutions below:

------------------------------- cut here
---------------------------------------

        open-source software related to continuous integration, for
        distribution at no charge to the public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Gump PMC", be and hereby
        is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it
        further

        RESOLVED, that the Gump PMC be and hereby is responsible for
        the creation and maintenance of software related to promotion
        and facilitation of automated integration of the software
        produced by other projects, based on software licensed to
        the Foundation; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Gump" be and
        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
        Gump PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management of
        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Gump
        PMC; and be it further

        Gump PMC:

        * Adam Jack <aj...@apache.org>
        * Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
        * Davanum Srinivas <di...@apache.org>
        * Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
        * Martin van den Bemt <mv...@apache.org>
        * Nick Chalko <ni...@apache.org>
        * Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>
        * Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>
        * Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that

           Mr. Stefan Bodewig

        be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Gump,
        to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or
        until a successor is appointed; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Gump PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
        development and increased participation in the Gump Project;
        and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Gump PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the migration and rationalization of the Jakarta PMC
        Gump subproject; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Jakarta
        Gump sub-project encumbered upon the Gump PMC
        be hereafter discharged.

------

--
Stefano.

Re: Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>.
On Feb 9, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Bill Barker wrote:

> What I want to know is if Gump (or at least 'projects') is going to
> remain
> open to all ASF commiters.

I see no problem at all in allowing full write access to all of gump
(metadata and code) to all ASF committers.  Why should we have a
boundary unless bad behavior forces one upon us?  I have not seen any
signs that Gump should be restricted.

Scott Sanders

Re: Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:
>

>>What I want to know is if Gump (or at least 'projects') is going to
>>remain open to all ASF commiters.
>
> We'll have to see, but I think the current model has been successful.
> Maybe we will want to split Gump into a metadata module with write
> access for every Apache committer and a code module with more
> restricted rules.  Maybe we want to keep it just the way it has been.
> I wouldn't want to become more restrictive than we've been before with
> metadata.

+1000

Actually nobody has messed with the gump code anyway, so until we have
problems (which I don't think we'll have), we can stay open to all as usual.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> What I want to know is if Gump (or at least 'projects') is going to
> remain open to all ASF commiters.

We'll have to see, but I think the current model has been successful.
Maybe we will want to split Gump into a metadata module with write
access for every Apache committer and a code module with more
restricted rules.  Maybe we want to keep it just the way it has been.
I wouldn't want to become more restrictive than we've been before with
metadata.

Stefan

Re: Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> What I want to know is if Gump (or at least 'projects') is going to remain
> open to all ASF commiters.

I see no reason to change the current access situation. Do you?

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

  people wouldn't obey the rules."
                                                         -- Alan Bennett

Re: Proposed resolution for Gump as TLP

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:37:35AM -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>The Gump development community has voted unanimously to ask for top
>>level project status, as previously mentioned to the board and has came
>>up with a proposal for a resolution for the board to pass in the next
>>upcoming board meeting.
>

> Excellent. I've added the resolution (tweaked) to the agenda.

>>  3) the Gump community decided to propose its own charter as:
>>
>>        responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related
>>        to promotion and facilitation of automated integration of the
>>software
>>        produced by other projects, based on software licensed to the
>>Foundation
>

> Looks good.

Great!

>>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Gump PMC", be and hereby
>

> "Apache Gump PMC". All project names should/must have Apache in their name
> for branding purposes. Not written in stone, but it has precedent. I've
> updated this throughout the resolution.

Fine with me. Thanks.

>>        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Jakarta
>>        Gump sub-project encumbered upon the Gump PMC
>>        be hereafter discharged.
>

> That last one probably should be "... upon the _Jakarta_ PMC ...". Fixed
> in the board agenda.

Sure, no problem.

--
Stefano.