Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2000/11/19 13:22:11 UTC

apr_getservbyname

The servent structure returns a proto argument as well as name/port, so
should we be looking to return it as well?  Are we going to abstract out the
protocols as well?  APR_TCP, APR_UDP anyone?

apr_status_t apr_getservbyname(apr_port_t *port, int *proto, const char
*servname);

However, should this be tied to an apr_sockaddr_t?

apr_status_t apr_getservbyname(apr_sockaddr_t *sa, const char *servname);

Also, what should we be doing on a system where getservbyname isn't
available?  Are there any such systems?

david

Re: apr_getservbyname

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
"David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> writes:

> The servent structure returns a proto argument as well as name/port, so
> should we be looking to return it as well?  Are we going to abstract out the
> protocols as well?  APR_TCP, APR_UDP anyone?

It can't work in general without telling it TCP or UDP, since services
are protocol specific.

> apr_status_t apr_getservbyname(apr_port_t *port, int *proto, const char
> *servname);

proto is input, not output

> However, should this be tied to an apr_sockaddr_t?

Probably; the normal use would be to fill in the port number in the apr_sockaddr_t.

> apr_status_t apr_getservbyname(apr_sockaddr_t *sa, const char *servname);

> Also, what should we be doing on a system where getservbyname isn't
> available?  Are there any such systems?

I dunno

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...