Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de> on 2003/07/05 12:42:11 UTC

checkout times out (0.24.2, apache tip of trunk)

If I attempt to check out a large package (python) from my svn
repository I see the following error:

svn: RA layer request failed
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/vendor/cpython'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/vendor/cpython': timed out waiting for server (http://codespeak.net)

Updating an existing workspace wirks fine. I am having this problem
since upgrading to 0.24.2 with apache tip of the trunk from friday. Is
this possibly a problem related to the recent changes with the property
getting code in apache?

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:F476EBC2>

Re: checkout times out (0.24.2, apache tip of trunk)

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de>.
On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 13:27 -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de> writes:

> > > No, no, it's in 2.1 alright.  Basically everything goes into 2.1 first
> > > and is then considered for backport.
> >
> > Then I am wondering what might be the problem. I am consistently getting
> > the timeout error upon attempting to import the latest python using
> > svn_load_dirs (which uses the svn command line). Also my apache grows to
> > about ~500 Mb during these tries.
>
> Well, now you're confusing *me*... you've changed your story.  You
> originally said you were getting timeouts when doing a checkout.  But
> now you're talking about doing an import.
>
> And 500MB is waaaaaaaay too big for an httpd process.  Can you give us
> a reproduction recipe?

Oops, sorry. This is probably due to the error message from the import
perl script, which mentions a co failed:

jum@thoth tmp $ cat imp-cvs
set -e
repo=http://codespeak.net/svn/vendor/cpython
TMPDIR=/data/jumtmp
export TMPDIR
#for ver in r152 r213 r222 r23a1
for ver in r23b2
do
        cd python
        cvs -q up -r $ver
        cd ..
        svn_load_dirs -p /work/svn-head/lib/svn_load_dirs_property_table \
                -t Python-$ver $repo current python
done
jum@thoth tmp $ sh imp-cvs
Directory python will be tagged as Python-r23b2
Please examine identified tags.  Are they acceptable? (Y/N) y
Running /work/svn-head/bin/svn log
http://codespeak.net/svn/vendor/cpython
Running /work/svn-head/bin/svn log http://codespeak.net
Running /work/svn-head/bin/svn log http://codespeak.net/svn
Determined that svn root URL is http://codespeak.net/svn.
Native EOL on this system is \012.
Checking out http://codespeak.net/svn/vendor/cpython into
/data/jumtmp/svn_load_dirs_zphHlMg5RS/ZZZ
Running /work/svn-head/bin/svn co
http://codespeak.net/svn/vendor/cpython ZZZ
/work/svn-head/bin/svn_load_dirs: /work/svn-head/bin/svn co
http://codespeak.net/svn/vendor/cpython ZZZ failed with this output:
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/vendor/cpython'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/vendor/cpython': timed out waiting for server
(http://codespeak.net)
Press return to quit and clean up svn working directory:
Cleaning up /data/jumtmp/svn_load_dirs_zphHlMg5RS

I would suspect that this is easily reproducible just using that
svn_load_dirs script. The first for line in the imp-cvs helper is
commented out as I have done these imports before, but using file: urls
at that time.  Due to various permission screwups I have switched all
URLs to http: to avoid any permission problems.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de>.
On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:19 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:

> > Yes. I have been running 2.1-dev all the time, updated at various points
> > in the past. I updated again on friday. Do I need to swicth to the
> > branch to get the streamy property thing or it is enough to run with the
> > current development head?
>
> No, no, it's in 2.1 alright.  Basically everything goes into 2.1 first
> and is then considered for backport.

Then I am wondering what might be the problem. I am consistently getting
the timeout error upon attempting to import the latest python using
svn_load_dirs (which uses the svn command line). Also my apache grows to
about ~500 Mb during these tries.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:F476EBC2>

> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 15:51 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:

Sander

Re: checkout times out (0.24.2, apache tip of trunk)

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@anubis.han.de> writes:

> If I attempt to check out a large package (python) from my svn
> repository I see the following error:
>
> svn: RA layer request failed
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/vendor/cpython'
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/vendor/cpython': timed out waiting for server (http://codespeak.net)
>
> Updating an existing workspace wirks fine. I am having this problem
> since upgrading to 0.24.2 with apache tip of the trunk from friday. Is
> this possibly a problem related to the recent changes with the property
> getting code in apache?

If anything, the recent Apache prop-code-changes should *prevent* this
exact kind of problem from happening!

In 0.24.2, 'checkout' == 'update'.  There's no difference.  The recent
apache changes make recursive PROPFIND requests streamy, so clients
shouldn't time out anymore, waiting for a huge directory listing of
thousands of children to be created.

So your server is definitely running httpd HEAD?