Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glyn Normington <gl...@uk.ibm.com> on 2002/09/05 10:53:56 UTC

Rationale for shipping v1.0 - ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!

>Write up text on 1.0 release rationale for web site
Done, see below.

Something along the following lines needs adding to the release notes
and/or the web site. I'll take the text, folding in any reasonable
improvements that are suggested by the end of this week, and commit it into
both the release notes and the web site early next week. Please pay
particular attention to the words about the compliance tests - if we have
to be more careful about the wording, we'd best delete them from this text
and treat the subject more carefully elsewhere.

"Rationale for Releasing Axis 1.0

Many users have requested a v1.0 so that they can work from a relatively
stable base. Some users have even remained on Apache SOAP until v1.0 of
Axis is available. Now Axis has surpassed Apache SOAP in function,
performance, and quality and, in particular, has passed Sun's JAX-RPC and
SAAJ compliance tests, we decided to ship v1.0 as it currently stands.

However, this is far from the end of the road for Axis. There is more
documentation to be written; the SOAP v1.2 spec. needs to be tracked to
completion and implemented fully; major functional enhancements and
architectural improvements are being considered. We particularly encourage
you to submit improvements to the documentation, however large or small and
in any format, to axis-dev@xml.apache.org.

The Axis Development Team"

Glyn

Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 - ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Glyn Normington wrote:

> "Rationale for Releasing Axis 1.0
>
> Many users have requested a v1.0 so that they can work from a relatively
> stable base. Some users have even remained on Apache SOAP until v1.0 of
> Axis is available. Now Axis has surpassed Apache SOAP in function,
> performance, and quality and, in particular, has passed Sun's JAX-RPC and
> SAAJ compliance tests, we decided to ship v1.0 as it currently stands.
>
> However, this is far from the end of the road for Axis. There is more
> documentation to be written; the SOAP v1.2 spec. needs to be tracked to
> completion and implemented fully; major functional enhancements and
> architectural improvements are being considered. We particularly encourage
> you to submit improvements to the documentation, however large or small and
> in any format, to axis-dev@xml.apache.org.
>
> The Axis Development Team"

+1 as it stands now.

A suggestion to consider.  Function and performance are quantifiable.
Even though I know it wasn't the intention, the above could be read as a
  comment on Apache SOAP's quality.

s/quality/interoperability/

- Sam Ruby

Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 - ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
+1. we can all have more docs. maybe mention that interop is an ongoing
concern, that we also need replicable bugreps about;

Posted by WJCarpenter <bi...@carpenter.org>.
> Now Axis has surpassed Apache SOAP in ... performance, ...

I see that "62 - faster than Apache SOAP 2.x" is marked "done!" in the
requirements list.  Can someone provide a pointer to measurements
done which show this fact?