Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com> on 2010/06/08 16:29:34 UTC

RE: FOP Trunk

I solved the issues this morning.
I looked up Eclipse and ant building and determined that build project
doesn't work.
Instead of using the normal Build Project option, I have to open the
project, find the build.xml, right click it, and select Run As ant
build.
Of course to make that work I had to download 3 jars separately and add
them to the build path.
ant.jar
http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
fop-hyph.jar
http://cdnetworks-us-2.dl.sourceforge.net/project/offo/offo-hyphenation/
1.2/offo-hyphenation-fop-stable_v1.2.zip
jai-core-1.1.3-alpha.jar
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven/geoserver/maven/jai/jars/ja
i-core-1.1.3-alpha.jar

Ant was the easiest to find.  The others took a bit of digging. I'm not
sure that's the official location for the jai but that jar works.
I got a warning on a jre reference in the build path so I removed that
and added the JRE System Library.
Adding the 3 jars and using the ant option on the build.xml worked for
the 0.95 source and the trunk.

Now the question is, where's the what's new?  What's the difference
between 0.95 and the trunk?

Posted by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com>.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about a simpler way to
build the project without the Ant builder.
I tried using Subclipse to checkout and it made it into a project which
looks nothing like the image you attached.

  <<Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)>>

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 08.06.2010 20:07:24 Eric Douglas wrote:
> Jeremias, my project isn't currently setup like that.  I haven't
> installed Subclipse yet.  I wasn't planning on making any real changes
> at this time.  I just used the DOS svn checkout command to retrieve the
> trunk files at a point in time, then used the Eclipse create new project
> from existing Ant buildfile option, just to build a working jar.  Since
> I was only planning to build it once, or a few times maybe for testing,
> a few seconds or a minute extra to build is not a problem for "efficient
> work".  I'm a novice at Java programming, so the only changes I would
> make for testing would be to add log statements to verify in the Java
> Console what it's doing.

You don't need Subclipse. I'm checking out using TortoiseSVN. Or you can
the command-line.

Please see: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/changes.html#version_FOP%20Trunk

> FYI, maybe it's just me but I had issues with the 0.95 trying to send
> output directly to a printer, to use the same code to send to multiple
> printers and get it using the proper paper tray.. But I did find a
> workaround.  Instead of trying to use the MIME_FOP_PRINT, I just use the
> MIME_PDF and get the PDF formatted output, then add a
> ByteArrayOutputStream object.  The transform puts the output in the
> object instead of creating a physical PDF, and I pass it to Apache's
> pdfbox program to print.  This is working great.

Good to hear. Our direct print support could certainly do with some
additional love like adding javax.print functionality.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: FOP Trunk

Re: FOP Trunk

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.