Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/09 11:14:26 UTC

Request for inclusion in 0.16: QPID-3911

Hi Justin,

I would like to request the following fix for inclusion in 0.16, to
resolve a user-reported defect in the Java client:

Consumer.close() and session.rollback() deadlocks

This particular case arose mainly because the client allowed a
consumer close to proceed whilst an onMessage delivery was in progress
for it, whereas the JMS spec says the close should wait for onMessage
to complete.

Alex created a patch which resolves the issue by making two main
changes: ensure that sending of consumer close commands doesnt occur
while an onMessage() delivery is in progress, and use the effect of
this change to allow removing use of a lock and the need to stop the
dispatcher thread when cleaning up the consumer after the broker
replies to the close command.

Rob and I separately reviewed the patch before I applied it, and it
has been through testing on trunk for a few days now without issue.

Robbie