Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Whitby <ug...@cs.bham.ac.uk> on 2006/02/19 18:53:01 UTC

JNDI Datasource Problem

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help with the previous problem I had, I've managed to solve them now thanks to your help.  But now I'm having a problem with setting up a DataSource connection.  I've followed the example word for word and got the following error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"

I did a google search for this but only managed to find something on the NetBeans website which wasn't much help.  I've edited the server.xml file as stated, placed the relevent jar file (mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar) in the lib folder in my web application and in the /common/lib folder in the Tomcat home folder and I've reset the server and I'm still getting the same problem.

I'm using MySQL, database is called 'fyptest' and the table is called 'testdata'.  So where am I going wrong?

Many thanks

Mark Whitby

Server.xml file:

<Context path="/DBTest" docBase="DBTest"
        debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

             prefix="localhost_DBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
             timestamp="true"/>

  <Resource name="jdbc/TestDB"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

  <ResourceParams name="jdbc/TestDB">
    <parameter>
      <name>factory</name>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make sure you
         configure your mysqld max_connections large enough to handle
         all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no limit.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxActive</name>
      <value>100</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain in pool.
         Set to -1 for no limit.  See also the DBCP documentation on this
         and the minEvictableIdleTimeMillis configuration parameter.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxIdle</name>
      <value>30</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Maximum time to wait for a dB connection to become available
         in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An Exception is thrown if
         this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to wait indefinitely.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>maxWait</name>
      <value>10000</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- MySQL dB username and password for dB connections  -->
    <parameter>
     <name>username</name>
     <value>javauser</value>
    </parameter>
    <parameter>
     <name>password</name>
     <value>pilks2</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- Class name for the old mm.mysql JDBC driver - uncomment this entry and comment next
         if you want to use this driver - we recommend using Connector/J though
    <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
    </parameter>
     -->

    <!-- Class name for the official MySQL Connector/J driver -->
    <parameter>
       <name>driverClassName</name>
       <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
    </parameter>

    <!-- The JDBC connection url for connecting to your MySQL dB.
         The autoReconnect=true argument to the url makes sure that the
         mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically reconnect if mysqld closed the
         connection.  mysqld by default closes idle connections after 8 hours.
         -->
    <parameter>
      <name>url</name>
      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/fyptest?autoReconnect=true</value>
    </parameter>
  </ResourceParams>
</Context>

web.xml file:

  <resource-ref>
      <description>DB Connection</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/TestDB</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com>.
your connection string doesn't quite look right the following is what I use.
jdbc:mysql://box.domain.com:3306/dbname?user=whoever&password=whatever

The problem that is usually associated with the error message you get
invalid: "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver"  usually implies
that there is something wrong with the url of the connection. I had this
happen a few times. Once for leaving out the second "collin jdbc:mysql //"
It was defined in properties file so it was easy to fix, but
anyway......there have been other times I got that error  and it was the
same reason....badly formed url  hence the mismatch on the drivers
listed in the jar.
I also give it the full hostname in the url. Though localhost should
resolve, it can greatly depend on DNS and host files, etc. Have been
thru that too.

Mark Whitby wrote:
> EDIT: I've just realised that my server.xml file may not be correctly
> set up so I've attached it to this email incase that is the case.  I
> did change it using the Tomcat Admin and it seems to have messed up my
> formatting so I can't tell if the context and host tags are correct.
>
> Mark
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Whitby" <ug...@cs.bham.ac.uk>

Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer
mike.sabroff@cygnusb2b.com
920-568-8379

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Mark Whitby <ug...@cs.bham.ac.uk>.
Just to add to my bermusement at this problem, I've used the following jsp
page and this works fine!

I've tried every link I can think of and people have the problem but no-one
seems to have a solution!

Mark

<%@ page import="java.sql.*" %>

<%
Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance();
connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/fyptest",
"javauser", "pilks2");
statement = connection.createStatement();
rs = statement.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM testdata");

while (rs.next()) {
out.println(rs.getString("foo")+"<br>");
}

rs.close();
conn.close();
%>

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by chuanjiang lo <lo...@gmail.com>.
i think you would need to change the context.xml?

JNDI Datasource Problem - SOLVED

Posted by Mark Whitby <ug...@cs.bham.ac.uk>.
Marc,

It works like a charm now thanks very much!  (I had verified it before hand
yes using code set up to access the database from within a jsp file but I'm
much happier now I can do it this way!)

Think we may need to recommend a change in the set up help files Tomcat have

Mark

Posted by Marc Richards <mj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Mark Whitby <ug...@cs.bham.ac.uk>.
[...]

             $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA  (Unix)
[...]

               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

    <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8082 -->
    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using this. -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8082"
               enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
               proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    -->

[...]

                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"

Re: JNDI Datasource Problem

Posted by Marc Richards <mj...@yahoo.com>.