Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Marco Ambu <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/21 09:40:47 UTC

How to upgrade from netbeans directly

Hi,

I installed netbeans 12.1 in linux (don't remember if I used  the zip file
or the shell installer).
Anyway I see 12.2 is available but running "Check for updates" in my
Netbeans says that there are no updates available.
Is that supposed to work or do we need to re-install it every time a new
release comes in?

Thanks,
Marco

Re: How to upgrade from netbeans directly

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Also you can go with the Snap package, which will be auto upgrade
whenever the new version is out. When that come out the new version will
report on startup if you would like to import the previous workspace
which is usually safe. If I'll have some time, I'd experiment with Snaps
auto directory update feature, that would theorethicly allow seamless
version upgrades, what would mean you open the IDE 12.2 one day and the
other day it would open with the same settings but 12.3... (Probably
that would happen first as 13.0 though)

Posted by Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com>.
On 2020-12-21 16:40, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Alan schrieb am 21.12.2020 um 20:58:
>> More confusing and more than a bit of a pain. At the risk of being
>> repetitive, does anyone know how to persist window layouts and open
>> files across version updates? Even a clue would help.
>
> I typically just keep the old user dir. I only delete the "var/cache"
> directory before I run the new version
>
> I only wipe it completely, if something doesn't work with the new
> version.
>
> The window layout is stored in the user dir's sub-directory
> config/Windows2Local
> Copying that from the old user dir into the new one should work.

Thanks, Thomas. I will give that a try.

--
Apache Netbeans Users List

Re: How to upgrade from netbeans directly

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
Alan schrieb am 21.12.2020 um 20:58:
> More confusing and more than a bit of a pain. At the risk of being
> repetitive, does anyone know how to persist window layouts and open
> files across version updates? Even a clue would help.

I typically just keep the old user dir. I only delete the "var/cache" directory before I run the new version

I only wipe it completely, if something doesn't work with the new version.

The window layout is stored in the user dir's sub-directory config/Windows2Local
Copying that from the old user dir into the new one should work.

Thomas

Re: How to upgrade from netbeans directly

Posted by Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com>.
More confusing and more than a bit of a pain. At the risk of being
repetitive, does anyone know how to persist window layouts and open
files across version updates? Even a clue would help.

Although I'm sure it's idiosyncratic, I've got a really specific setup
typically with 50-100 open files and four editor windows (roughly one
for each layer in the so-called "full stack" development process).
Recreating context after every upgrade is a tedious process. Yet it
seems ridiculous to move to LTS releases just for this reason.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 18:47, Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a better option would be to have a button to upgrade to a new release when one is available.

Definitely a message or button here would be good, and needs to be LTS aware ...

There is already a notification for new releases - "just" need to
marry the things up.  If / when I get some free time I keep meaning to
have a look at this one, if no-one gets there beforehand ..

> It should also be explicitly clear that the existing Upgrade means “Upgrade Plugins” not upgrade the IDE in general.

This isn't strictly true - it also covers general IDE patches.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
And it has always caused this confusion...

We should at least add a message in the update UI to tell users to do a manual download and install to move to a new release.

I think a better option would be to have a button to upgrade to a new release when one is available.

It should also be explicitly clear that the existing Upgrade means “Upgrade Plugins” not upgrade the IDE in general.

Scott

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Marco Ambu <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.