Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Seif Eddine Jemli <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/20 04:26:20 UTC

[GSOC] [CLOUDSTACK-6045] Final update

Hi everyone,

As you probably know, I have worked on this project whose goal is making
the GUI support adding primary storage to CS that is based on storage
plug-ins.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Create+GUI+to+add+primary+storage+based+on+plug-ins

The pencils down firm deadline was Monday the 18th. I spent yesterday
preparing a presentation that summarizes my GSoC tasks from this summer.

Here is the link to the presentation:

http://fr.slideshare.net/seif_100/seif-mike-gsoc2014cloudstack
<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffr.slideshare.net%2Fseif_100%2Fseif-mike-gsoc2014cloudstack&h=QAQEcJBPc>

I have worked mainly on two tasks:

* The first task I worked on was adding support into CloudStack's GUI to
enable admins to add Primary Storage that is based on a custom plug-in.
Prior to this, admins needed to perform this task either via CloudStack's
CLI, its API, or some other tool that leveraged CloudStack's CLI or its API.

* The other task was adding the following GUI control to CloudStack:

http://loopj.com/jquery-tokeninput/

This control replaces the need for admins to type in a comma-separated list
of what CloudStack calls storage tags (we were also able to apply this
control to what CloudStack calls host tags).

As part of this process, I needed to create two new API calls to CloudStack
and invoke them from the GUI. These API calls retrieve the current list of
storage tags or host tags and populate them into the GUI control. The admin
can then either select one or more existing tags and/or add new ones.
Overall, this feature will make it much easier for admins to avoid input
errors.

GUI forms that make use of this new control include the following:

-Add Primary Storage

-Add Host

-Add Compute Offering

-Add Disk Offering

Two detail views make use of this new control for editing tags:

-Edit mode for a primary storage

-Edit mode for a host

These two tasks were completely fulfilled, and I hope that they will be
useful for the CloudStack admins.

I would like to thank my mentor, Mike Tutkowski, for his help and guidance
during the project. I would also like to thank the "Apache Cloudstack
Community" members for their helpful answers.

The GSoC experience was very good overall, with especially a lot of
learning. That being the case, I'll probably apply next year for another
project.

Beyond GSoC, I am thinking of modifying the URL input on the "Add Primary
Storage" form to make it more user friendly by accepting "key-value" inputs.

Thanks everyone,

Seif

Re: [GSOC] [CLOUDSTACK-6045] Final update

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Seif did a great job. He was very dedicated. There were many times I'd send
him an e-mail at what would be like 3 - 5 am his time (not expecting a
response for hours) and he'd respond right away (he was actually working on
the project). :)

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: [GSOC] [CLOUDSTACK-6045] Final update

Posted by Punith S <pu...@cloudbyte.com>.
nice work seif, thumbs up :)

--
regards,

punith s
cloudbyte.com

Re: [GSOC] [CLOUDSTACK-6045] Final update

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.