Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Reyes, Mark" <Ma...@bpiedu.com> on 2014/05/05 23:23:52 UTC

Strict Search in Apache Solr

How could Solr accomplish an end-user behavior like a strict search?

Let’s say an end-user decides to use quotation marks in their keywords to provide specificity in their search results.

Current:
If you were to query: your future, then 10 results would return and print to the page.

Expected:
I’d like to query: “your future”, then less than 10 results would return and print to the page.

Regards,
Mark

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages sent from Bridgepoint Education may contain information that is confidential and may be legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.

Re: Strict Search in Apache Solr

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
You can do phrase search explicitly with quotes. Or you could look at
something like Term query parser:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Other+Parsers#OtherParsers-TermQueryParser

You can also enable autoGeneratePhraseQueries on the field type to try
the phrase queries, but that's in addition to trying individual terms:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Field+Type+Definitions+and+Properties

Regards,
   Alex.
Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency

Posted by "Reyes, Mark" <Ma...@bpiedu.com>.
Okay, let¹s try it this wayŠ

CURRENTLY:
Step 1: Type, your future into the search bar.
Step 2: 10 search results return.

I¹D LIKE TO SEE THIS:
Step 1: Type, ³your future² into the search bar.
Step 2: 1 search result returns.

Can this be accomplished through the Solr UI?

Thanks,

Mark