Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/15 15:28:30 UTC

mirror.ihtml is not converting

Greetings.  We're trying to use the mirror documentation on your site
to generate a mirror page but we're running into a problem.  The
.ihtml page is not converting into .html when we run forrest.  We run
into the same problem building the forrest site included in the distro
as well.

What are we missing here?

TIA,
sean

ps. You may want to add myfaces.apache.org to your list of sites using
Forrest ;-)

Re: mirror.ihtml is not converting

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> I was able to follow the instructions fairly well except for the major
> part of the .ihtml not converting.  Here is the hack that I did to get
> everything working:

It was converting. As i said, it was just that it
was being generated into a different directory.

> Instead of source.ihtml and binary.ihtml I just wrote source.xml and
> binary.xml in the normal xdocs fashion (using the mirrors.ihtml stuff
> as a template for my combo box.)

Well i don't understand how you would have got past
xml validation for that. Switch it off i suppose.
That was the point of using *.html as the source format.

> Then in my site.xml I had:
>
>     <project-information href="" label="Project" tab="project">
>         <index_pm href="index.html" label="Welcome"/>
>         <license label="License" href="license.html" />
>         <downloads label="Downloads">
>             <bindownload label="Binary"
> href="http://myfaces.apache.org/binary.cgi"/>
>             <srcdownload label="Source"
> href="http://myfaces.apache.org/source.cgi"/>
>             <bindownload_html href="binary.html"/> <!-- these dummy
> links are necessary -->
>             <srcdownload_html href="source.html"/> <!-- these dummy
> links are necessary -->
>         </downloads>
>      </project-information>

>      <!--
>      NOTE: foo tab doesn't really exist (its label is empty String.)
> This allows us to create bogus
>      links for the binary.xml and source.xml files.  These bogus links
> are necessary to trick
>      Forrest into converting them into html even though they are not
> linked anywhere.  The real
>      links are the cgi scripts tha will eventually make use of these
> html templates.
>      -->
>      <foo href="" label="" tab="foo">
>          <bindownload_html label="" href="binary.html"/>
>          <srcdownload_html label="" href="source.html"/>
>      </foo>
>
> So the foo tab links forced the generation of the HTML page but you
> never see them because the tab is empty string.  The links in the
> download section were necessary b/c otherwise when the cgi redirected
> you to the page you would see the empty tab with empty entries.  You
> can check out the end results at http://myfaces.apache.org.

That is an interesting workaround.

--David

Re: mirror.ihtml is not converting

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
[...]

ps. If you have further questions please email me directly b/c I am
unsubscribing from the list.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> Greetings.  We're trying to use the mirror documentation on your site
> to generate a mirror page but we're running into a problem.  The
> .ihtml page is not converting into .html when we run forrest.  We run
> into the same problem building the forrest site included in the distro
> as well.
>
> What are we missing here?

Ah, you have hit on a known problem. Hmm, i thought that i
had raised a Jira issue for it but i hadn't. Done now.
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-480

Your project's Cocoon cli.xconf tells it to process the
extra URI mirrors.html and the cli.xconf also tells it
where to put the output, i.e. the "build/site/" directory.

However it gets generated into main/site/ instead.
(Location specific to 0.7-dev.)

A bug definitely, but whose bug?

I need to update that mirror documentation before release.
Did you have any difficulty following it? Other than the fact
that i completely neglected the bug, sorry.

> TIA,
> sean
>
> ps. You may want to add myfaces.apache.org to your list of sites using
> Forrest ;-)

Will do, thanks.

--David