Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by dalilama <gr...@yahoo.fr> on 2008/12/17 14:39:39 UTC

Tomcat errors

I'm trying to get to know tomcat 6. I am experimenting with editing one of
the java classes in apache-tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes

I have replaced the contents of HelloWorldExample.java with my own code
which server a web page . One of the lines of code is:
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)

The code compiles fine and runs fine.
Now I want to add some code which might throw an exception so I modify the
above line to read :
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res) throws
IOException, ServletException

The file again compiles without problem. But now when I start the tomcat
instance I see the following errors in the logs :

Dec 17, 2008 1:23:02 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
listenerStart
SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
listeners.ContextListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/ServletContextAttributeListener

The "javax/servlet/ServletContextAttributeListener" is definately there and
the location is included in the environmental variable "CLASSPATH"

Now the tomcat server is totally disfunctional and gives me HTTP STatus 404
when I do to the servlet demo page.

George

Re: Tomcat errors

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
dalilama wrote:
> I'm trying to get to know tomcat 6. I am experimenting with editing one of
> the java classes in apache-tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes
>
> I have replaced the contents of HelloWorldExample.java with my own code
> which server a web page . One of the lines of code is:
> public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
>
> The code compiles fine and runs fine.
> Now I want to add some code which might throw an exception so I modify the
> above line to read :
> public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res) throws
> IOException, ServletException
>
> The file again compiles without problem. But now when I start the tomcat
> instance I see the following errors in the logs :
>
> Dec 17, 2008 1:23:02 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
> listenerStart
> SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
> listeners.ContextListener
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/servlet/ServletContextAttributeListener
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
>
> The "javax/servlet/ServletContextAttributeListener" is definately there and
> the location is included in the environmental variable "CLASSPATH"
>
> Now the tomcat server is totally disfunctional and gives me HTTP STatus 404
> when I do to the servlet demo page.

That is a question for the users list, not the dev list.

Mark