Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Vivian Zhou <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/13 06:16:44 UTC

HTTPS support -- different implementation from AXIS-J

Hi All,

I was looking at AXIS2/c manuals and reading through the mailing list regarding HTTPS support, I noticed that the HTTPS support in AXIS2/c  is different from AXIS-J. I was using AXIS-J for a while in the past,  and I remember that in order to support HTTPS in the Client side, I will need a keystore file, and all I need to do is to set a System property like this following
in the java clinet before making the web service call:

        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore", keystorePath);

Here in AXIS2/c, it seems require a key chain file, is this key chain file the same thing as that keystore file? I notice that the way to create these two files are somewhat different. Also in AXIS2/c, there is a extra passphrase, which does not seem to be in the AXIS-J. Is this passPhrase a must have in order to support HTTPS?

I am also wondering if there is a service APIs to set the keyChain file (or file path) in the call object, or something like the above example in java (set System property)?

Thanks much.
Vivi

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: HTTPS support -- different implementation from AXIS-J

Posted by Dumindu Pallewela <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vivian,

> Hi All,
>
> I was looking at AXIS2/c manuals and reading through the mailing list
> regarding HTTPS support, I noticed that the HTTPS support in AXIS2/c  is
> different from AXIS-J. I was using AXIS-J for a while in the past,  and I
> remember that in order to support HTTPS in the Client side, I will need a
> keystore file, and all I need to do is to set a System property like this
> following
> in the java clinet before making the web service call:
>

>         System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore", keystorePath);
> Here in AXIS2/c, it seems require a key chain file, is this key chain file
> the same thing as that keystore file? I notice that the way to create these

No they are not.

> two files are somewhat different. Also in AXIS2/c, there is a extra
> passphrase, which does not seem to be in the AXIS-J. Is this passPhrase a
> must have in order to support HTTPS?

I'm not sure why a passphrase is not used in AXIS-J, but here it is
used in order to protect the private key. You can choose to encrypt
your private key when you create one. Thus, if your private key is not
encrypted with a passphrase you do not have to provide this.

> I am also wondering if there is a service APIs to set the keyChain file (or
> file path) in the call object, or something like the above example in java
> (set System property)?

I'm afraid it is not as simple in AXIS2/C though it is not too
complicated either :). Please refer to AXIS2/C manual [1].

Regards,
Dumindu.

[1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/docs/axis2c_manual.html#ssl_client

--