Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/03/24 10:21:17 UTC

[Design] User Customisable Views

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement as follows:

I want each user within my web app to be able to customise their views for
individual screens independently, I want users to be able to customise
attributes such as:

ˇ	Turn on/off certain columns when displaying tabular data.
ˇ	Customise Header colour, data row colours, onMouseOver colours
ˇ	Text Alignment with cells, Font etc…

I’m thinking I need to persist the above attributes for each user i.e. using
some Tables in my database. My application will have a large number of users
i.e. (600+ but only 200 concurrent users) so I’m little concerned at this
approach.

Has anyone out there tried something similar to this before with Struts and
if so should you provide me a few pointers i.e.

How did you persist user view details… how did you plug it in with Struts….
I want to avoid adding logic to my view layer to control the displaying of
the above attributes.

Any Ideas gurus… by the way I’m not looking for a solution just a few
pointers.

Cheers

Pat

Re: Generate from Hashtable

Posted by Kalaiselvan <ka...@netscape.net>.
Hi,
   I have a hashtable having the (countrcode,countrydesc). Is there any
option to use struts taglib to display it in <select> tag.
Thanx
Kalaiselvan

Re: Object inside another Object

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.
You should use the <html:select> tag with <html:options>

Define a form-bean that will have a "contry" property, and two collections that will maintain labels and values for your
options.

Look at tag doc :
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/doc-1.0.2/struts-html.html#options

This way you will have current selected value automatically set to "select" in generated HTML, and you will
automatically get back selected value form user in form-bean.

Try using tags instead of scriptlets, your JSP will become more readable.

Nico.

Posted by Kalaiselvan <ka...@netscape.net>.
yes. I'm using it in <select> tag.

I  have a hashtable that contain countrycode, countrydesc

<select name="country">
<%if ( countries != null )
    {
            Enumeration keys = countries.keys();
            while ( keys.hasMoreElements() )
                {
                        String key = (String)keys.nextElement();
                        String selectedFlag = "";
                        if( key.equalsIgnoreCase(<bean:write
name="employee" property="country">) )
                            selectedFlag = "selected";
%>
                    <option value="<%=key%>" <%=selectedFlag%>
 ><%=countries.get(key)%></option>
<%            }
            }
%>

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Object inside another Object

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.

Posted by Kalaiselvan <ka...@netscape.net>.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Object inside another Object

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.

Posted by Kalaiselvan <ka...@netscape.net>.
Hai Nicolas

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Object inside another Object

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.

Posted by Kalaiselvan <ka...@netscape.net>.
Hai Nicolas

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: Object inside another Object

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.

RE: [Design] User Customisable Views

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
IMHO you would probably want to create bean(s) that contain the relevant
preferences. Ie:

getFavouriteMouseOverColour()
getPreferredAlignment()
isShowColumnX()

In your business tier of course these get persisted to / retrieved from the
database (a few hundred rows isnt going to hurt much (I think)).

If these prefs dont get changed on the fly by other users (ie: only that
user changes them usually) then the best place to retrieve is when the user
does a login and you can cache the bean(s) for that user in their session.

In your JSP (or velocity template or whatever you use for rendering) you can
access the getters to provide you the appropriate values you need, and of
course make use of such things as the equals / notEquals tags etc... (this
isnt 'logic' its just hiding/showing stuff depending on whats set in your
prefs...)

If attributes of the prefs beans need to be passed as attributes to jsp tags
Id suggest you look into making the jump to JSTL (or struts EL) if you
havent done so as the expression language will save you a lot of hassle
writing the JSP code...

Havent had to do user prefs yet in my app so cant tell you from experience
how well this will work, but I cant think of a simpler way! (Though I
suppose for a lot of the simpler prefs, such as colours,  you could handle
it by generating on the fly (and caching) a css style sheet customised for
that particular user.)