Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/28 21:38:18 UTC

target for 2.9.1 release?

Hi,

2.9.0 was released last December, and I was wondering if we could release
2.9.1, somewhere in late March*.

2.9.1 would be mainly a manteinance release, including not only ~15 fixed
issues, or whatever the number of issues solved by then, but also:
* requirement of at least Java 6 to compile (as Java 6 is being outdated
this February I think it isn't a break-dealer)
* ChangeLog published on site
* initial maven support (JSPWIKI-651)
* drop TranslatorReader (deprecated since 2.3 and unused in src)

The last one should -technically- be done on 2.10 scope, but it's been ages
since it was deprecated and unused... Anyone using it nowadays, is it safe
to remove? Thoughts on the other points?

* saying "late March", but meaning "as the points agreed to be included in
2.9.1 are done"

br,
juan pablo

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> I do think trying to salvage content from a wiki where both copyright
> and license are in question is always problematic. The only truly safe
> way around this would have been to have had a rights statement (e.g.,
> Creative Commons or similar) at the very beginning of the project,
> something explicitly stated an agreement upon any contributors
> permitting reuse. I don't think anyone could fault Janne for not
> having the extreme foresight to have done this at the very birth of
> the JSPWiki project.

Creative Commons didn't exist when I started ;-).  Frankly, also, I don't really care.  As far as I am concerned, worrying about the copyrights of contents on jspwiki.org is, what is succinctly known as "Someone Else's Problem."

> problematic. But if Janne is willing I don't think there'd be any issue
> in him simply selling the rights to Apache for $1, i.e., any legal
> handover would do.

I've already agreed to hand over jspwiki.org to ASF.  Just someone tell me who takes it and I'll draw the dots and ink the i's (or whatever) to transfer the domain.

/Janne

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/31/2013 07:25 PM, Ichiro Furusato wrote:
>>
>> Hi Glen,
>>
>> Unfortunately, from a legal perspective there is no ability to
>> differentiate what might be called "pure facts" from their expression,
>> and expressions are copyrighted.
>
> I can't see how that would be the case, for then there would be no benefit
> to making facts uncopyrightable
> (http://www.pddoc.com/copyright/not_copyrightable.htm).  What you're saying
> is that if one newspaper writes "Bob Smith is the new Mayor", no other
> newspaper may write that sentence, because "Bob Smith is the new Mayor" is
> not just a fact (not copyrightable) but an expression (always
> copyrightable), completely defeating the purpose of not making facts
> copyrightable.

This is a straw man argument, a reductio ad absurdum. Nobody is
talking about copyrighting sentences. But taking a wiki page and
rewriting its content using different words would certainly hold as
plagiarism in any court, just as my rewriting of either Checkov or
Larry Wall's O'Reilly Perl book (even if I took out the religion). I
would be taking a copyrighted expression and re-expressing it,
which is a violation of copyright.

I think it's probably pertinent to point out that from a legal perspective,
a lawyer representing a client will always act in the most conservative
fashion in order to expose the client to minimal risk. In that sense,
Apache's legal team should likewise shy away from legal gray areas.
Content copied from a ambiguously-licensed web site would be very
grey.

"pure facts" or "ideas" cannot be copyrighted, but any expression of
them that could be construed as creative (such as how things are
stated) can be copyrighted. Anything "fixed in a tangible medium of
expression" can be copyrighted. After March 1, 1989 the explicit
labelling of a work with either a copyright statement or symbol was
no longer required. Works that are "fixed in a tangible medium of
expression" are *implicitly* copyrighted.

Think about this: technical documentation is baldly an expression
of "facts" about a product. If published in a book, the book is
implicitly copyrighted. As a PDF, it's implicitly copyrighted. On a
website, it's implicitly copyrighted. It's not the way that something
is transmitted but the creative act of *writing* the documentation
(expressing an idea) that is copyrighted. So, all of O'Reilly's books,
every single sentence, is implicitly copyrighted even if the publisher
neglected to put a copyright notice or symbol on the work.

'nuff said, anyway.

Ichiro

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
On 01/31/2013 07:25 PM, Ichiro Furusato wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> Unfortunately, from a legal perspective there is no ability to
> differentiate what might be called "pure facts" from their expression,
> and expressions are copyrighted.

I can't see how that would be the case, for then there would be no
benefit to making facts uncopyrightable
(http://www.pddoc.com/copyright/not_copyrightable.htm).  What you're
saying is that if one newspaper writes "Bob Smith is the new Mayor", no
other newspaper may write that sentence, because "Bob Smith is the new
Mayor" is not just a fact (not copyrightable) but an expression (always
copyrightable), completely defeating the purpose of not making facts
copyrightable.

> Any attempt to extract "pure facts"
> from expression without proper license is called plagiarism.

Really?  If the website says:
Britain's awesome capital is London!
*or*
The capital of the Great Britain is London.

And I write:
The capital of the Great Britain is London.

I can't see, in either case, how I've committed plagiarism.

However, I happily agree with your conclusion that you draw from your
view, namely, just starting fresh and new is best for us.

Quote: But if Janne is willing I don't think there'd be any issue in him
simply selling the rights to [the website to] Apache for $1, i.e., any
legal handover would do.

Perhaps a nice-to-have, but I don't believe Apache *must* have the
jspwiki.org site (Does Apache own any other non-Apache URL in that
manner?).  Janne could probably just shut down the site (return the
domain to the ISP he bought it from), or if he wishes, replace it with a
blank page.  I'm sure for lots of Apache products {productname}.com  or
.net or .org will return 404s.  "Buy up every URL containing the project
name" can't be part of the incubation-leaving process.   But if Janne
wants to sell it to Apache, why not?  Maybe he can get a pizza out of it...

Regards,
Glen

Ichiro

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
On 01/31/2013 07:25 PM, Ichiro Furusato wrote:
> I think I've already mentioned that I'll be able to (on a time-available
> basis) be able to update the documentation for the wiki plugins that
> are being re-released under neocortext.net by myself and Murray Altheim.
> I would do that on the new wiki.

That would be nice, thanks!  We appreciate your contributions.

Glen

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,

Unfortunately, from a legal perspective there is no ability to
differentiate what might be called "pure facts" from their expression,
and expressions are copyrighted. Any attempt to extract "pure facts"
from expression without proper license is called plagiarism. If you
think about this in light of the history of authors copying content
from existing works and simply making grammatical changes, we should
probably not go down that road.

There's also the issue that there would have to be a judgement call
for every single instance of content (i.e., every single edit) from
the jspwiki.org site, which would take an impossible amount of time.

The CC-licensed http://doc.jspwiki.org/2.4/ site, yes, that can be
reused without issue:

   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

The jspwiki.org site is labeled "Copyright © 2009 individual contributors."
If any of the original authors were to copy content they themselves
wrote off the old wiki onto the new wiki and were careful not to include
content written by others, while I would imagine the Apache Foundation's
lawyers would rightfully recommend against such practices, those authors
(the only potentially injured parties) would in theory be very unlikely
to be able to successfully sue the Apache Foundation for breach of
copyright given they were themselves the perpetrators of the act.

Perhaps a more productive approach would be for the new site to be
populated with new content relevant to the current code base. As you
say, there is a lot of outdated material on the current site, enough that
it's probably quite confusing to people. I was caught out recently trying
to set up security until I realised that I was working from outdated
documentation.

I think I've already mentioned that I'll be able to (on a time-available
basis) be able to update the documentation for the wiki plugins that
are being re-released under neocortext.net by myself and Murray Altheim.
I would do that on the new wiki. If those responsible for the various
managers and components of JSPWiki were to make a similar effort in
documenting them on the new wiki, we'd be a long way towards providing
relatively complete documentation. This would require people to actually
write documentation, which I likewise realise is a commitment of time
that might not be available.

I do think trying to salvage content from a wiki where both copyright
and license are in question is always problematic. The only truly safe
way around this would have been to have had a rights statement (e.g.,
Creative Commons or similar) at the very beginning of the project,
something explicitly stated an agreement upon any contributors
permitting reuse. I don't think anyone could fault Janne for not
having the extreme foresight to have done this at the very birth of
the JSPWiki project.

As to trademark issues, names are enforceable within a domain,
witness "apple" being trademarked separately within computing and
within music recording (of course, that got difficult when the former
began to encroach upon the territory of the latter). But JSPWiki is
a tradename that doesn't exist outside of computing, and both users
of the trademark would be within the same domain. So while Apache
doesn't own "camel.com, it's co-use of "JSPWiki" would likely be

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
As I probably mentioned before, I really wouldn't recommend any "Unless
otherwise noted"; if it's not Apache-licensed, we don't need it, and we
don't want anybody putting stuff up on our Wikis and then claiming their
own copyright.  From day one, 100% Apache licensed, or don't give it to
us.  The % of material on jspwiki.org that is both useful and not
present elsewhere (docs, Apache JSP website, our upcoming ASL-licensed
Wiki) is probably sitting at around 20-40% and will continue to fall
over time.

Where I work with Talend (as well as with competitor companies), we rely
on the Apache-licensed nature of the documentation (CXF, Karaf, Camel,
etc.)  which allows us to comfortably incorporate the text into our own
documentation when making commercial wraps of the software.   The
documentation loses much of its usefulness unless companies have the
full confidence that whatever they take, whereever, it's 100% ASL and
not littered with sometimes hard-to-see land mines of non-ASL material.

Strictly speaking, it's not necessary for us to take over jspwiki.org to
leave graduation--we can't be responsible for sites outside of our
control (again, jspwiki.org is Janne's "other hat", outside of the
control of the Apache JSPWiki team), any more than Apache Chemistry is
responsible for the presence of chemistry.org or chemistry.com.  As far
as graduation is concerned, AFAICT all we need to do is remove the link
to jspwiki.org from the Apache JSPWiki site and that formally
disassociates ourselves from that site, we're done.  (Actually, even
that might not be required.) In the unlikely event Apache Legal has a
problem with jspwiki.org cybersquatting then Legal can send a C&D letter
to Janne (of which I'm sure the latter would be only too thrilled to
comply :), but that has nothing to do with us for graduation purposes,
that's between Legal and Janne.  jspwiki.org is loaded with unusable
"orphan works" and we can't be blamed for not wanting to incorporate it.

Again, I recommend Janne do (1) and (2) below -- put in a sentence
stressing the deprecated nature of jspwiki.org, refer people to Apache
JSPWiki, and remove the aforementioned left-side menu items appropriate
for a living project (cybersquatting concerns should be taken care of
right there.)  Then he can keep that site open and read-only for as long
as *he* likes until *he* decides to retire it (i.e., have it return
404), I don't see it having many more months of useful shelf life.  We
really don't need jspwiki.org anymore IMO.

Anyway, just my $0.02, I see nothing suggested as vetoable.

Glen

Re: target for 2.9.1 release?

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,