Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org> on 2006/10/29 03:01:04 UTC

[pool] intend to propose for a pool 2.0 release soon

As I mentioned on commons-user I plan to prep a pool 2.0 release
candidate in the next week. I'll compile a complete list of changes
but here are the important changes I can recall right now.

1. Requires Java 1.4
2. Adds the org.apache.commons.pool.composite pool implementation that
I started writing almost a year ago.
3.  Changes the behavior of getNumActive and getNumIdle so they return
a negative value to indicate unsupported operation instead of thrown
an UnsupportedOperationException.
4. The returnObject, invalidateObject, and close methods no longer
throw Exceptions. The rational being code calling these methods would
rather have any internal exceptions swallowed instead of being
propagated and having to deal with them.
5. borrowObject swallows exceptions that originate from activating an
idle object but throw an exception that originates from the factory's
makeObject method.

Expanded details at: http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/PoolRoadMap

I plan to look at issues POOL-85 and POOL-86 and change the
pacakge.html for the composite package because it has a lot of
information intended for pool developers and not programmers using
pool.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-85
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-86
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/pool/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/pool/composite/package.html?revision=465936

Any thoughts or objections?

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine

Re: [pool] intend to propose for a pool 2.0 release soon

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.
On 10/29/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> This may be another case where we should consider placing the major
> version number in the package name.

I don't think so.

There are no binary compatibility changes. Only slight behavioral
changes within what has always been allowed for a pool
implementations. Basically the changes are to be less exception happy
or try harder before giving up with an exception.

For pool 3 I want remove the throws declarations that are no longer
needed by pool 2 changes and this will cause source incompatibilities
but not binary incompatibilities.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
This may be another case where we should consider placing the major
version number in the package name.

Stephen