Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "John L. Poole" <jo...@editionspoole.com> on 2004/04/20 16:14:31 UTC

db42-support-patch on Apache fails

I have tried to install the Subversion server in two different Linux
environments and still run into the same problem with the configure
script not being able to find the Berkeley database.

Here's what I did:
Installed the latest version of Berkeley (4.2.52.NC plus it's two
patches: 4.2.52.1 & 2) using all the defaults settings; built it
(configure, make, make install) in /usr/local/src.

Downloaded and installed the current Apache release (httpd-2.0.49).
Patched the Apache release with your patch db42-support-patch.txt.
attempted to configure Apache and the configuration failed:

configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found

The Apache patch session and configuration report are attached.

John Poole
john_poole@editionspoole.com
john.poole@oracle.com

Re: db42-support-patch on Apache fails

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
John L. Poole wrote:

> Here's what I did:
> Installed the latest version of Berkeley (4.2.52.NC plus it's two
> patches: 4.2.52.1 & 2) using all the defaults settings; built it
> (configure, make, make install) in /usr/local/src.

But you didn't add the path to the Berkeley libs into /etc/ld.so.conf and then
run 'ldconfig' to update the linker cache, did you?  That still needs to be
added to the FAQ entry.  I have also noted that it matters whether you are using
a tar file (with the included apr/apr-lib files) or if you have a checked out
copy of the repository.

Also, FWIW, /usr/local/src is the place where local _source_ files are normally
placed, not library files.  Since you mentioned using defaults, I suspect you
meant /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/ (so you would have added the full path
'/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib' to /etc/ld.so.conf).

HTH

John

--
John Peacock