Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2010/02/17 11:29:45 UTC

Casandara and Jackrabbit

Hi,
Has anyone written a PM or SPI implementation based on Casandra ?
Ian

Re: Casandara and Jackrabbit

Posted by Patricio Echagüe <pa...@gmail.com>.
Well, I'll try to answer that. As far as I know, after looking into the PM
source code, at the time that store(change log) is called, the javadoc says
that the change log must be saved completely or nothing.
That is basically saying, if it fails, then rollback.

If you use a bundle approach, as I did, each bundle is a node and its
properties. The bundle id is my row key in Cassandra, hence, I save a bundle
per row.

So, since each bundle is stored in a row/key, tipically in a chage log, you
will have many bundles which means many rows or keys. At this point
Cassandra does no assures you that all invocations will be successful.

so far, Cassandra support transactions at the row level. That says, the row
is saved or not at all.

I read there is some intentions to add the feature of transactions across
multiple keys in the future.

Please feel free to question my thoughts. I would like to get to a better
approach is there is a way.

Regards
Patricio

--
Patricio.-

Re: Casandara and Jackrabbit

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Patricio Echagüe <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
Patricio.-

Re: Casandara and Jackrabbit

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 17 Feb 2010, at 10:43, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
>> Has anyone written a PM or SPI implementation based on Casandra ?
>
> I'm not aware of anything like that, though there's been some
> discussion about persistence on top of distributed databases or hash
> tables. The main problem with such approaches is the eventual
> consistency model that can be troublesome for the current Jackrabbit
> architecture.

Is that because, in a cluster one JR node might get an event that an Item exists, but its not yet present on the backend its connected to, and there are no guarantees over the order in which items appear, so, for instance, the hierarchy manager might find a child but not the parent?

Do you have any pointers to the discussions so I can go and read ?

Thanks
Ian

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,