Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2013/09/04 02:30:01 UTC

HBase - stable versions

With 0.96 being imminent we should start a discussion about continuing support for 0.94.

0.92 became stale pretty soon after 0.94 was released.
The relationship between 0.94 and 0.96 is slightly different, though:

1. 0.92.x could be upgraded to 0.94.x without downtime
2. 0.92 clients and servers are mutually compatible with 0.94 clients and servers
3. the user facing API stayed backward compatible

None of the above is true when moving from 0.94 to 0.96+.
Upgrade from 0.94 to 0.96 will require a one-way upgrade process including downtime, and client and server need to be upgraded in lockstep.

I would like to have an informal poll about who's using 0.94 and is planning to continue to use it; and who is planning to upgrade from 0.94 to 0.96.
Should we officially continue support for 0.94? How long?

Thanks.

-- Lars

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
It's a very good point.  Most people will go to 0.96 when CDH and
Hortonworks support it.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Shahab Yunus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@salesforce.com>.
+1 to what Nicolas said.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Kiru Pakkirisamy <
kirupakkirisamy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, I read that, but I guess Nicolas elaborated this line, which really
> helped  - "Our first "Development" Series was the 0.89 set that came out
> ahead of HBase 0.90.0. HBase 0.95 is another "Development" Series that
> portends HBase 0.96.0."  :-)

Please tell me how the above can be improved (or provide a patch) and I'll
commit.

We need noobs to tell us where our doc is opaque.  Us who have been around
too long can't "see" like a noob anymore so we automatically fill in any
gaps unconciously.

Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Kiru Pakkirisamy <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, I read that, but I guess Nicolas elaborated this line, which really helped  - "Our first "Development" Series was the 0.89 set that came out ahead of HBase 0.90.0. HBase 0.95 is another "Development" Series that portends HBase 0.96.0."  :-)

Regards,
- kiru

________________________________
Nicolas, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

What Nicolas said but here is how its stated in the refguide: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning
St.Ack

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Kiru Pakkirisamy <kirupakkirisamy@yahoo.com

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Vimal Jain <vk...@gmail.com>.
Even we will use 0.94 for foreseeable future.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Kiru Pakkirisamy <kirupakkirisamy@yahoo.com

--
Thanks and Regards,
Vimal Jain

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Vimal Jain <vk...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Vimal Jain

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Ameya Kanitkar <am...@groupon.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Ameya Kanitkar <am...@groupon.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBase - stable versions

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
We are using 0.94 and at present we are satisfied with it.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta