Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jo...@engilitycorp.com on 2014/02/12 15:57:58 UTC

Tomcat 8 appears slow to process jsp pages

Hi,
I'm testing within Eclipse Kepler on Win7/64. Using Tomcat 7 and lower, jsp pages appear in an instant.  Testing Tomcat 8 I watch the console and see the Java and sql processing complete, then wait a full minute for the webpage to appear. With Tomcat 7 there is no wait. Just to verify, while composing this I opened a web page within the application and stared at a white screen for almost exactly sixty seconds.  I have everything else configured exactly the same. The only difference I can see is the version of Tomcat. Has anyone else run into anything similar?

Thanks,
John

Re: Tomcat 8 appears slow to process jsp pages

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Howard,

On 2/12/14, 10:48 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM, <Jo...@engilitycorp.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Testing Tomcat 8 I watch the console and see the Java and sql
>> processing complete, then wait a full minute for the webpage to
>> appear. With Tomcat 7 there is no wait. Just to verify, while
>> composing this I opened a web page within the application and
>> stared at a white screen for almost exactly sixty seconds.  I
>

> I have used Tomcat 7.0.32+ (7.0.32, 34, 35, 37, 39, 40, 42, 47,
> ...) since I use TomEE, and I experienced that some time in the
> past. When I experienced that, I closed the browser with
> anticipation to break/cancel the HTTP request, and reopened browser
> and webapp page. Eventually, as time went on, i did not experience
> that anymore, and I don't see that anymore. There was 'maybe' some
> app changes that I made (and/or some improvements between Tomcat
> and TomEE), but it may have been caused by database deadlock. I'm
> not sure. I haven't experienced that for some months now, maybe 6+
> months.
>
> you may need to change your jdbc <Resource/> settings. One of
> tomcat committers, Christopher Schultz wrote a good article about
> tomcat jdbc[1] and how to configure it to meet your needs. I think
> i read it a few times and changed my jdbc settings sometime ago,
> and I think that may have solved the
> tomcat-request-white-page-in-browser issue/behavior that I
> experienced in the past.

Thanks for the props. but I doubt this is the problem... OP reported
that the JDBC stuff was all done and he appears just to be waiting for
page-rendering. While sloppy JDBC work can certainly bring-down an
application, it tends not to interfere with individual requests as
described, here.

Only thread dumps will help determine the real problem.

It might be something simple like an XML schema lookup that takes
forever (for instance: try loading the XML schema definition from
w3.org... they punish you by making you wait a long time for it).

- -chris

Re: Tomcat 8 appears slow to process jsp pages

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM, <Jo...@engilitycorp.com> wrote:

> Testing Tomcat 8 I watch the console and see the Java and sql processing
> complete, then wait a full minute for the webpage to appear. With Tomcat 7
> there is no wait. Just to verify, while composing this I opened a web page
> within the application and stared at a white screen for almost exactly
> sixty seconds.  I

I have used Tomcat 7.0.32+ (7.0.32, 34, 35, 37, 39, 40, 42, 47, ...) since
I use TomEE, and I experienced that some time in the past. When I
experienced that, I closed the browser with anticipation to break/cancel
the HTTP request, and reopened browser and webapp page. Eventually, as time
went on, i did not experience that anymore, and I don't see that anymore.
There was 'maybe' some app changes that I made (and/or some improvements
between Tomcat and TomEE), but it may have been caused by database
deadlock. I'm not sure. I haven't experienced that for some months now,
maybe 6+ months.

you may need to change your jdbc <Resource/> settings. One of tomcat
committers, Christopher Schultz wrote a good article about tomcat jdbc[1]
and how to configure it to meet your needs. I think i read it a few times
and changed my jdbc settings sometime ago, and I think that may have solved
the tomcat-request-white-page-in-browser issue/behavior that I experienced
in the past.

[1]
http://blog.christopherschultz.net/index.php/2009/03/16/properly-handling-pooled-jdbc-connections/

Re: Tomcat 8 appears slow to process jsp pages

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/02/2014 14:57, John.Kieffer@engilitycorp.com wrote:
> Hi, I'm testing within Eclipse Kepler on Win7/64. Using Tomcat 7 and
> lower, jsp pages appear in an instant.  Testing Tomcat 8 I watch the
> console and see the Java and sql processing complete, then wait a
> full minute for the webpage to appear. With Tomcat 7 there is no
> wait. Just to verify, while composing this I opened a web page within
> the application and stared at a white screen for almost exactly sixty
> seconds.  I have everything else configured exactly the same. The
> only difference I can see is the version of Tomcat. Has anyone else
> run into anything similar?

Haven't seen it before. Sounds like some form of IO timeout. Can you
reproduce it on a stand-alone Tomcat?

Try taking 3 thread dumps ~10s apart during the 60s pause to see what is
going on.

Mark