Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Ramon F. Herrera" <ra...@patriot.net> on 2010/04/12 07:28:36 UTC

Would like to add Javadoc and Source support to my projects

The following has been my newbie approach to getting started with POI:

(1) Downloaded the binary distro, placed it under the folder where I
keep all my Java libraries.

(2) Downloaded the source distro, used the *.java files provided (Loan
Calculator, Calendar, etc.) to build the example projects.

I am being partial to NetBeans these days, and when I add a library to
my project, in addition to the Classpath I get two tabs for extra useful
support: Sources and Javadoc.

The Javadoc wants a JAR file, but all I found were HTML (and PDF) files.

If I switched to Eclipse, would those two features work more readily?

TIA,

-Ramon

Re: Would like to add Javadoc and Source support to my projects

Posted by Ramon F Herrera <ra...@patriot.net>.
On 4/12/2010 1:11 PM, Richard Holmes wrote:

> Hi Ramon,
>
> I don't know NetBeans, any good?  The last time I looked was
 > about 10 years ago.

Richard,

To be honest, I am torn between Eclipse and NetBeans. At some point I
had both IDEs running concurrently on the same source files, just for
fun. I recall I had to make all my editing in one side (Eclipse?)
because such IDE is constantly watching files being modified.

For beginners -and anyone in a hurry- I would definitely recommend
NetBeans, you can have stuff up and running in no time. Another
advantage is that the GUI is very similar to Visual Studio.

With additional plugins, both IDEs support C++ programming, and also
working from a Windows front end, with the compilation done on Unix
(gcc, gdb, etc.)

Now, if you need to develop Java GUIs with some interface builder, you
have to go with Eclipse. There is a commercial (not too expensive)
plugin from Instantiations of such quality that I have never seen
anything similar. Your typed code becomes widgets and your drawn widgets
become code. NetBeans has some funny hack: they insert the widget
parameters inside the comments.

That kind of programming can only be done properly with programming
languages that have "reflection". Java is one such language.

I guess we are veering off topic... :-)

Posted by Richard Holmes <ri...@shedconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Ramon,

I don't know NetBeans, any good?  The last time I looked was about 10 years
ago.

I have used Eclipse for a number of years in different development
environments and like it because of the integration with version control and
bug tracking systems (through team server and mylyn) and for my environments
supports database/xml/java/php etc.

For Eclipse you do the following:

   - Put the Jar files you want to include in your project somewhere, right
   click and select build path add to build path.  (I also have external jars
   referenced from the project properties).
   - Expand the Referenced libraries in your project
   - Right click on your library and select properties.

Now because I have moved the POI package (due to the software I am working
with already having an older version) I reference the source in the Java
Source Attachement section.  This can be a location in your workspace, and
external file (jar or zip) or an external folder.  It will then pick up all
the java doc's from inside the code and allow you to debug more easily
inside POI.

I use this method as I am working with an existing application and writing
extensions.

There is also a place to select your javadoc location which seems to work
fine.

Regards
Richard

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.

Posted by Ramon F Herrera <ra...@patriot.net>.
On 4/12/2010 12:28 AM, Ramon F. Herrera wrote:

> The following has been my newbie approach to getting started with POI:
>
> (1) Downloaded the binary distro, placed it under the folder where I
> keep all my Java libraries.
>
> (2) Downloaded the source distro, used the *.java files provided (Loan
> Calculator, Calendar, etc.) to build the example projects.
>
> I am being partial to NetBeans these days, and when I add a library to
> my project, in addition to the Classpath I get two tabs for extra useful
> support: Sources and Javadoc.
>
> The Javadoc wants a JAR file, but all I found were HTML (and PDF) files.
>
> If I switched to Eclipse, would those two features work more readily?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon

Dear Self,

This is the partial solution for POI+NetBeans

(1) Support for libraries.
Level of difficulty: Easy.
The libraries already come in JARs. Just point to them.

(2) Support for Javadoc.
Level of difficulty: Intermediate.
I compressed the folder named "docs" and renamed it from "docs.zip" to
"docs.jar". Point to it. Works like a charm.

(3) Support for Sources.
Level of difficulty: Hard
I tried pointing to some (which one?) of the many folders where the
source code is contained, at different depth levels. No luck.

-Ramon