Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Bryan Hernandez <br...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/03 10:40:22 UTC

How to clean up /tmp in running topology

Greetings Storm Users,

Does anyone know how to handle the large volume of files written to /tmp in
running a storm topology.  My topology is writing GBs worth of data to /tmp
and it's filling up the drive.

drwxrwxr-x  3 ubuntu ubuntu 4.0K Mar  3 09:33
1484627e-cce2-4055-8b71-04b681b928ad/
drwxrwxr-x  3 ubuntu ubuntu 4.0K Mar  3 09:33
50f7a5a4-853f-46b9-8043-603cef62e26f/
drwxrwxr-x  3 ubuntu ubuntu 4.0K Mar  3 09:34
529982be-aaed-4252-bcd7-f14f8b91dca2/
drwxrwxr-x  4 ubuntu ubuntu 4.0K Mar  3 09:33
66912844-fd34-4160-8d24-70712ff59158/
drwxrwxr-x  3 ubuntu ubuntu 4.0K Mar  3 09:33
8268616c-3a4f-4dd3-bee2-83930fd5335b/

My topology is supposed to be running perpetually (in local cluster mode),
so I need a strategy that cleans up what is not needed such that it doesn't
affect what is running.

Best,
Bryan

Re: How to clean up /tmp in running topology

Posted by Bryan Hernandez <br...@gmail.com>.
No, no one has written but you (Thank you!).

I could write them to a bigger drive, but are they supposed to expand
indefinitely, or what are they?  Perhaps the reason they've grown so big is
because I have started and restarted many topologies many times without
properly shutting them down (kill -9) and this has left lots of cruft in
/tmp.  If these temp files won't grow indefinitely, then I can place them
on a 40GB drive and that should suffice, no?  I'm afraid that I was getting
some kind of weird failures because /tmp was getting filled up.

What would you suggest I do?  I'm running on a c3.xlarge in AWS.  The OS is
installed on an 8 gb drive, but there is a 40gb ephemeral disk attached to
it as well, that should work, no?

Best,

Bryan

Posted by clay teahouse <cl...@gmail.com>.