Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by "Zin, Nicolas" <ni...@sap.com> on 2015/12/14 18:41:54 UTC

vsphere / vrealize provider

Hi,

I think Brooklyn doesn’t support vmware as a provider (it seems that vsphere support is discontinued in jclouds). If I want to write my own provider, where in the code should I look at?
Also another question: does brooklyn allow to trigger policy by hand? (I want to be able to scale up/down but manually)

Regards,

Nicolas Zin

Re: vsphere / vrealize provider

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

We've been encouraging VMware to support jclouds-vsphere but there are
deprecated projects available and there are some commercial plugins for
several of the vmware items including vsphere.  (Drop me a non-list
email if you're interested in that.)

If you want to write your own you'll either want to provide a
`MachineProvisioningLocation` implementation in Brooklyn (non-jclouds)
or write a jclouds provider (or build on one of the deprecated ones) and
add it to the `dropins` folder of Brooklyn (it will get picked up
automatically).

And yes, you can manually invoke "effectors" via REST or UI or CLI --
these are the levers policies pull e.g. the autoscaler policy typically
calls "resize".  You can also change policies (suspend, reconfigure,
add, remove) at runtime.

HTH
Alex