Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2006/11/23 05:52:36 UTC

[general] Added new reports to Melody

Find new reports on melody:

 1) findbugs reports 2895 potential bugs of 207 of which serious

 2) cpd now reports against both classlib/java and drlvm/c (I will do
classlib/c and drlvm/java later)

 3) removed locales and messages from cpd on classlib/java

 4) I've cleaned up the code for the cpd resport which now it's cleaner.

 5) I've written a script that checks for "not implemented" methods that
are not reported as such and that might shield or fool JAPI results

comments, suggestions and criticism welcome.

--
Stefano.

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Cool - thanks.  It shows lots of opportunities for people to get
> involved with Harmony contributions.
>
> How often are the reports updated?

The cron job is failing right now (and it's also failing to send me
email about it, so I'm a little blind), but fixing that is on top of my
todo list for harmony (thanksgiving celebrations allowing...) and when
that works, it will run nightly (0:00 GTM -5:00)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Find new reports on melody:
>
>  1) findbugs reports 2895 potential bugs of 207 of which serious
>
>  2) cpd now reports against both classlib/java and drlvm/c (I will do
> classlib/c and drlvm/java later)
>
>  3) removed locales and messages from cpd on classlib/java
>
>  4) I've cleaned up the code for the cpd resport which now it's cleaner.
>
>  5) I've written a script that checks for "not implemented" methods that
> are not reported as such and that might shield or fool JAPI results
>
> comments, suggestions and criticism welcome.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Find new reports on melody:
>>
>>  1) findbugs reports 2895 potential bugs of 207 of which serious
>
> Is there any way to silence false positives?  I've dipped into the
> report in a couple of places, and while there are real potential
> bugs/lint in there it would be good to record those where someone has
> looked into the warning and deemed it ok.

findbugs has a 'filter' xml document where you can list things
classes/bugs that it should ignore.

I'll commit the entire melody scripts on svn, so that committers can
modify them there and they get picked up by melody.

>>  2) cpd now reports against both classlib/java and drlvm/c (I will do
>> classlib/c and drlvm/java later)
>>
>>  3) removed locales and messages from cpd on classlib/java
>>
>>  4) I've cleaned up the code for the cpd resport which now it's cleaner.
>>
>>  5) I've written a script that checks for "not implemented" methods that
>> are not reported as such and that might shield or fool JAPI results
>>
>> comments, suggestions and criticism welcome.
>
> Can I add my OSGi manifest checking program in there too?
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/tools/trunk/manifest_checker/

sure thing, I'll take a look.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sian January wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> That's a great tool and it looks like it's going to be really helpful for
> finding bugs.  I have been looking through some of the findbugs reports for
> luni and have already found 2 or 3 fairly serious issues.  As Tim mentioned
> it would be good to be able to mark issues that have been investigated as
> there are a fair number of false positives.  Also is it possible to change
> some of the rules?  For example I think "Method invokes inefficient Number
> constructor; use static valueOf instead" should be allowed within the class
> itself (E.g. it should be ok for other methods in the Byte class to call
> new
> Byte()).  What do you think?

Absolutely. Increasing the signal/noise ratio of all those report is a
very high priority of mine: people tend to ignore noisy information and
the signal gets lost.

I'll send an email with instructions on what to do when I set it up.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Stefano,

--
Sian January

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/23, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>:
> Egor Pasko wrote:

> >> fixed. I now run cpd against classlib/module and drlvm/vm only, both for
> >> java and c.
> >
> > Thank you for doing this!
>
> My pleasure.
>
> > There are a lot of opportunities for
> > refactoring. I will be looking at these when working on code nearby.
>
> Cool. There is no hurry, but cut/paste is a problem because when you fix
> one you might forget to fix the other... so, in theory, we should aim at
> have the lowest amount of cut/paste possible.
>
> > What improvements I might think of:
> > * alerts when copy-pasted code grows (whith CC)
>
> deltas for all those reports are next on my todo list... as soon as I
> get CC back working.
>
> My plan is to send email messages to this list whenever a transition
> (either positive or negative) occurs in any of the things I'm measuring,
> so that we know our progress.

Yes, it would be good to track transitions - as they may indicate that a code
was fixed in one place out of several

Thanks,
Mikhail

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x22A day of Apache Harmony Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Egor Pasko wrote:
> > On the 0x22A day of Apache Harmony Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >> Find new reports on melody:
> >>
> >>  1) findbugs reports 2895 potential bugs of 207 of which serious
> >>
> >>  2) cpd now reports against both classlib/java and drlvm/c (I will do
> >> classlib/c and drlvm/java later)
> >
> > I see no drlvm/c, only drlvm/java. And CPPTASKS can be excluded
> > safely, it is an external tool.
>
> fixed. I now run cpd against classlib/module and drlvm/vm only, both for
> java and c.

Thank you for doing this! There are a lot of opportunities for

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jin Mingjian <ji...@gmail.com>.
Good! I like it:)

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Nice!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Any thought to getting a DNS entry for this server? Perhaps just a
> simple DynDNS - http://www.dyndns.com/.

Ask Geir, it's his box :-)

(I suggested the same thing, btw)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Anton Luht wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> Unfortunately the hosting provider was not too friendly. It refused to
> add a DNS record that points to external IP. When I asked why (I'm the
> domain owner) - they responded:
>
> --
> You own your domain name but you are using our name servers. We can
> not add this record to our DNS servers and will not be able to assist
> you with this issue.
> --
>
> I'm sorry.

hmm, don't worry, it's silly on their part, but legally understandable.

I think that it's better to just wait for our zone and then have
harmonytest.org redirect to it once we are done and we can have a
testing dashboard on the apache.org domain name which would solve most
issues.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I'll add it to my dyndns...

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 29 November 2006 at 8:16, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If it helps I've created:
>
>   melody.harmonytest.net as an A record for 67.86.14.213
>
> and:
>
>   www.harmonytest.net as a CNAME for www.harmonytest.org
>
> Sadly the latter doesn't work since www.harmonytest.org is a named
> virtual host.  If people think using this domain would be okay, then
> I can set up a HTTP redirect instead. In fact, this might also be a
> better way to do melody.harmonytest.net since it would then be possible
> to redirect from the standard HTTP port 80 to the non-standard port on
> 67.86.14.213.

I've now changed these to be HTTP redirects so:

  http://www.harmonytest.net/
  http://melody.harmonytest.net/

should both work.

-Mark.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
If it helps I've created:

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Stefano,

Unfortunately the hosting provider was not too friendly. It refused to
add a DNS record that points to external IP. When I asked why (I'm the
domain owner) - they responded:

--
You own your domain name but you are using our name servers. We can
not add this record to our DNS servers and will not be able to assist
you with this issue.
--

I'm sorry.

On 11/24/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Anton Luht wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've put a link to Melody from harmonytest.org first page.
>
> thanks!
>
> if you control the DNS of the harmonytest.org domain, could you add
> melody.harmonytest.org as well? that would be great.
>
> --
> Stefano.

Anton Luht,
Intel Java & XML Engineering

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

On 11/23/06, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/11/23, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>:
> > Any thought to getting a DNS entry for this server? Perhaps just a
> > simple DynDNS - http://www.dyndns.com/.
> Something like melody.harmonytest.org...

Anton Luht,
Intel Java & XML Engineering

Re: [general] Added new reports to Melody

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
yes :)

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.