Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/15 17:37:02 UTC

Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Just a friendly reminder to all about Lucene ecosystem events at ApacheCon
> US this year. [...]

One thing we should get in place is a wiki page or something similar
for the Lucene meetup planned for Tuesday evening. In Amsterdam
earlier this year we used the wiki page at [1] to track things.

The MoinMoin wiki at Apache has been a bit flaky lately, so I'm not
sure how much we can rely on it for the next few weeks. If people
like, I can set up a simple web site and a sign-up form like the ones
I did for the NoSQL meetup I'm organizing, see
http://www.nosqloakland.org/.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneMeetupMarch2009

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 06:37:08AM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 08:44:05AM -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> The other thing we need to do at this point,
>>
>> Presumably a projector is going to be made available?  Including
>> for the
>> lightning talks?
>
> Will this be resolved one way or the other before Tuesday, or should
> I prepare
> two talks, one with projector and one without projector?

Shadow puppets?

> Is this something ApacheCon takes care of, or is up to the "sponsor"
> of the
> MeetUp, Lucid Imagination, to set up?

A projector will certainly be there.  Maybe Lucid has one we can bring?

	Erik

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
confirmed, projector will be in the room for the meetup.

	Erik

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I assume there will be one, but let me check.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
The other thing we need to do at this point, is make sure our initial
speakers are lined up.  I am sure Erik and Stefan will be there, but
not sure on Thorsten and droids.  If not, maybe Yonik or I can do our
what's new in Solr 1.4 or I can do what's new in Lucene 2.9.

-Grant

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I added some more details to the wiki page, including a signup form so
: we can better track the number of attendees.

Karl had a good point on java-dev (in reply to one of my wiki updates)
that we havent' really done a lot to publicise that the MeetUp is open to
anyone who wants to come, even if they aren't registered for the
confrence).

We should proably add this to the main site, and send anouncement email
to all the user lists (w/replies to general).

If anyone with, uh, better grammer and spelling then me (i?) wants to take
a crack at it please speak up -- otherwise i'll do it tonight.

-Hoss

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> I thought we had one up already on the Lucene wiki.  Otherwise, go for it.

The wiki is back to normal so I guess we can stick with that.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: It's SFO .. ah, well, you can't have everything in life.

Well .... it's not as bad as it may seem.  *if* your flight is on time,
and *if* you take Bart instead of renting a car, and *if* you don't check
luggage, you can probably be on the 7:21 train getting to the hotel lobby
@ 8:10.

Oh wait ... are you going through customs/imigration @SFO? ... because
then you're probably screwed.

-Hoss

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can actually everyone come to the meetups or only people who registered for
> ApacheCon and paid conf fees?

The meetups are free for everyone.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Oh never mind - I just noticed that this is already mentioned on the wiki...

  Michael

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
> There is an initial schedule online at:
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneAtApacheConUs2009
> Isabel

I still plan to do the Katta introduction. Is someone officially
maintain the page or should I just go ahead and remove the question
mark myself?
Stefan

Re: Organizing the Lucene meetup (Was: ApacheCon US)

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.