Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2014/03/05 16:53:25 UTC

Documentation for Tomcat 6/7 + DBCP 1

All,

Tomcat 8 uses DBCP 2 which has changed the name of some configuration
parameters, specifically maxActive->maxTotal and maxWait->maxWaitMillis.
I have just fixed the JNDI DataSource examples to reflect that.

However, the documentation for Tomcat 6, 7, and 8 all point to DBCP's
configuration page, which currently shows the DBCP 2 configuration which
will not work on DBCP 1. That means we have a sync problem with the
Tomcat 6 and 7 documentation.

I was unable to find the configuration page for the "old" DBCP version
on the DBCP site, otherwise I would have updated the documentation directly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how best to link from Tomcat's user
guide to the DBCP configuration page in a sane way?

Further, Tomcat 8 does not seem to complain when the maxActive and
maxWait configuration attributes are used on a <Resource>. Is this
because BasicDataSourceFactory implements a createDataSource(Properties)
method which is used rather than creating a "blank" DataSource and then
calling individual property setters on it (which would then fail as not
being found)?

-chris

Re: Documentation for Tomcat 6/7 + DBCP 1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> All,
>
> Tomcat 8 uses DBCP 2 which has changed the name of some
> configuration parameters, specifically maxActive->maxTotal and
> maxWait->maxWaitMillis. I have just fixed the JNDI DataSource
> examples to reflect that.
>
> However, the documentation for Tomcat 6, 7, and 8 all point to
> DBCP's configuration page, which currently shows the DBCP 2
> configuration which will not work on DBCP 1. That means we have a
> sync problem with the Tomcat 6 and 7 documentation.
>
> I was unable to find the configuration page for the "old" DBCP
> version on the DBCP site, otherwise I would have updated the
> documentation directly.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for how best to link from
> Tomcat's user guide to the DBCP configuration page in a sane way?

Hmm. I'm not aware of the DBCP 1.x config being available on-line. Not
sure how to fix that.

> Further, Tomcat 8 does not seem to complain when the maxActive and
>  maxWait configuration attributes are used on a <Resource>. Is this
>  because BasicDataSourceFactory implements a
> createDataSource(Properties) method which is used rather than
> creating a "blank" DataSource and then calling individual property
> setters on it (which would then fail as not being found)?

Correct. Some mapping from old to new names is called for. DBCP is
probably the best place for it.

Mark