Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net> on 2002/08/02 17:01:41 UTC

JDBC Connection Pools

Just a sanity check question:

It looks like Tomcat does not inherently support JDBC Data
Source and/or connection pools - with Weblogic I can set one up in the
config.xml file.

Am I correct in this assumption? Do people write their own
connection pool manager for JDBC connections when using Tomcat?

Thanks

Re: JDBC Connection Pools

Posted by Peter Mutsaers <pe...@mutsaers.com>.
>> "Chris" == Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net> writes:

    Chris> It looks like Tomcat does not inherently support JDBC Data
    Chris> Source and/or connection pools - with Weblogic I can set
    Chris> one up in the config.xml file.

    Chris> Am I correct in this assumption? Do people write their own
    Chris> connection pool manager for JDBC connections when using
    Chris> Tomcat?

I'm not sure, I didn't find one in tomcat 4.0, so I wrote my own
(which is easy). I put it in common/lib, configure it in server.xml
(via some extention in server/lib).

Writing your own gives some advantages; such as for our app we allow
only 3 connections from the pool per user (session). If you write your
own you can add such custom requirements easily. The PooledConnection
(std. JDBC class) is intended to implement your own pools.

--
Peter Mutsaers, Dübendorf, Switzerland.

Re: JDBC Connection Pools

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Chris,

You really need to read the Tomcat documentation before asking a
question like this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#JDBC%20Data%20Sources
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Oh, one thing.  For commons DBCP, the documented <user></user>
(mentioned in a few places) parameter is incorrect.  It should be
<username></username> which is stated correctly in some examples,
but not in others.

Jake

--
Best regards,

RE: JDBC Connection Pools

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
It didn't when I started doing things, so I started using poolman (on
sourceforge).

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson