Posted to mime4j-dev@james.apache.org by Tze-Kei Lee <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/30 11:13:20 UTC

Fallback charset in DecoderUtil.decodeEncodedWords ?

Hi,

I am trying to decode emails with MIME content using mime4j.

Sometimes the charset of encoded word of a RFC 2047 encoding is not a
valid charset name (usually it's a spam),
but several client will try to decode it with fallback charset when
dealing subject (outlook/live mail will try system locale, thunderbird
will try UTF-8, and gmail will try both).

I suggest adding an optional fallback charset argument so
tryDecodeEncodedWord could try to decode with fallback charset instead
of return null.

Best Regards

Tze-Kei

Re: Fallback charset in DecoderUtil.decodeEncodedWords ?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@ok2consulting.com>.
On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 18:13 +0800, Tze-Kei Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decode emails with MIME content using mime4j.
>
> Sometimes the charset of encoded word of a RFC 2047 encoding is not a
> valid charset name (usually it's a spam),
> but several client will try to decode it with fallback charset when
> dealing subject (outlook/live mail will try system locale, thunderbird
> will try UTF-8, and gmail will try both).
>
> I suggest adding an optional fallback charset argument so
> tryDecodeEncodedWord could try to decode with fallback charset instead
> of return null.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Tze-Kei

Tze-Kei

Please raise a JIRA for this change request.

Oleg