Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2004/05/11 20:09:47 UTC

XMLBeans out of incubator

Assuming we do another maintenance release of XMLBeans 1.0 in the next
month or so then the only hurdle that XMLBeans has left is getting
enough non-bea committers.  Our current ratio looks like:

Non-BEA committers (4, 40%)
Dutta Satadip
David Bau
Ken Kress
Laurence Moroney

BEA committers (6, 60%)
Cezar Andrei
David Remy
Cliff Schmidt
Eric Vasilik
Scott Ziegler
Patrick Calahan

We need at least two more non-bea committers to meet our incubation
goals.  If you are interested in becoming an apache xmlbeans commmitter
could please either email me directly or post your interest on the
xmlbeans-dev user list?  In general I expect that you have been involved
with apache xmlbeans over the last 8 months or more, submitting one or
patches, and answering questions.  It is possible that there are other
considerations as well such as XML or XML/Java binding expertise.  Don't
be shy though :)

thanks!
rem

Re: XMLBeans out of incubator

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 11 May 2004, at 19:09, David Remy wrote:

<snip>

> We need at least two more non-bea committers to meet our incubation
> goals.

i think i'd like to start by saying i've been very impressed over the
last few months by the way that the xml-bean community has grown.

a few observations (IMHO, of course):

1 i'd say that the recruitment of a fixed number of new committers is
not as important as finding and learning ways to recognize and
encourage those people who will help to push the project forward in the
future. recruiting new developers, converting developers into
committers and then mentoring committers into pillars of the
development community is vital to the long term health of an ASF
project (and indeed of apache as a whole). recruiting new committers is
important and needs to happen continuously (if a project is to stay
healthy) but it is also important to remember that this is really only
the start of the process. personally speaking, i think that proposing a
person as a committer should mean taking responsibility for mentoring
them until they become established.

2 people may wish to consider whether it might be a better plan for
xml-beans to remain in the incubator long enough in order to make a
good push for immediate top level project status. xml.apache.org is
currently trying to change itself into a federation of top level
projects. it might be easier for the community to learn how to govern
itself in the incubator (especially since there are few old ASF hands
amongst the committers). the incubator pmc has a wealth of knowledge
which could be tapped for pmc best practice (and the ppmc could be used
for experimentation). (i'm not an member of the incubator pmc) but
given the current rate of progress, i'd say that with some more time,
you'd have a good chance of promotion to top level status.

- robert

Re: XMLBeans out of incubator

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Waite <ma...@akuma.org>.
On May 11, 2004, at 12:09 PM, David Remy wrote:
<snippage>

> We need at least two more non-bea committers to meet our incubation
> goals.  If you are interested in becoming an apache xmlbeans commmitter
> could please either email me directly or post your interest on the
> xmlbeans-dev user list?  In general I expect that you have been
> involved
> with apache xmlbeans over the last 8 months or more, submitting one or
> patches, and answering questions.  It is possible that there are other
> considerations as well such as XML or XML/Java binding expertise.
> Don't
> be shy though :)

I am interested in becoming a contributor to apache xmlbeans. I have
been using xmlbeans for about 6 months, and have submitted several
patches. My primary interest is contributing code to facilitate XML
canonicalization, and exclusive canonicalization support, working
towards an implementation of xml signatures.

-David Waite

Re: XMLBeans out of incubator

Posted by David Waite <ma...@akuma.org>.